Home

Who am I?

Hello, and welcome to my website! My name is Zoe Walker and I am a first year doctoral student at the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor studying American Politics and Research Methods. Originally from Indianapolis, IN, I graduated from the University of Notre Dame in May of 2019 with a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science and English. My double major combined my passion for politics with my love of writing and research. I am an American Political Science Association Minority Fellow, a Rackham Merit Fellow at the University of Michigan and a 2018 alumna of the Ralph Bunche Summer Institute. I have presented research at the Annual Meeting of the American Political Science Association, the University of Michigan’s Emerging Scholars Conference and the University of Notre Dame’s Undergraduate Scholars Conference.

What am I doing?

My research interests broadly include exploring the role that social media plays in political learning and decision-making, online political radicalization, and alternative media influence networks. In evaluating these topics, I am especially interested in studying the use of racial and identity-based appeals as tools for shaping political beliefs and voting behavior amongst minority groups. In other words, how are dog whistles and coded racial messages interpreted by a non-white viewership? I explored many of these topics in my undergraduate Senior Honor Thesis and look forward to continuing this line of research as a graduate student.