ALBANA SHEHAJ

Welcome! Bienvenue! Mirësevini!

I am a Ph.D. Candidate in the Department of Political Science at the University of Michigan. With an emphasis on developing democracies, my research interests include political parties, political economy of development, corruption, clientelism, quantitative methods, institutions and post-communist politics.

My dissertation project examines the determinants of within and across country variation in patterns of electoral punishment towards political corruption in developing democracies. Specifically, I engage in a combination of methodological approaches to systematically assess the link between party strategies and voters’ electoral tolerance of non-democratic conduct by parties and representatives in the transitioning democracies of Eastern Europe and the Balkan region. Ultimately, I analyse how this dynamic shapes policy formation and overall democratic consolidation in transitioning states.

Additional areas of research include right wing populism, immigration, distributive politics, nationalist and ethnic politics, and European Union accession.

Prior to my doctoral education, I acquired a B.A (with high distinction) and an M.A. in Political Science from the University of Michigan.