Intern Testimonial-Meghan Hough

Why did you decide to intern for DISC?

I decided to intern for DISC because it combined my interests and passions for Islamic Studies with my desire to get more involved with the Islamic Studies Department on campus. I also didn’t have a lot of background when it came to communications, and I was definitely interested in gaining more experience in that field, so the DISC internship was very appealing because it combined one of my passions with one of my educational and professional desires.

How does this internship relate to your broader academic and professional goals?

Other than typical social media usage, I have no professional background in communications or social media, but in the professional world today, social media and communications are becoming extremely important tools. As such, I have a desire to learn more about effectively utilizing and communicating in the professional world through social media, and this internship provides an amazing opportunity to do that.

What did you gain from this internship, personally?

I  gained important connections within the university environment and the Islamic community in Ann Arbor as a whole. Additionally, I learned a lot about inter-university collaboration through the DISC program.

What about academically, or professionally?

I learned a lot about inter-university collaboration through the DISC program. It was very interesting to learn about everything that goes into building effective programs within the Big 10 universities.

How will you apply the skills you’ve learned from this internship to your work later on?

I plan to utilize the communication skills both in my work in social media, and in my work in interpersonal relationships later on. Additionally, I hope I will be able to continue to build relationships within the Islamic community as my work continues.

What did you like best about the internship?

I really enjoyed the flexibility of the internship. It was very low stress, and it made the internship very enjoyable. Additionally, I enjoyed being able to meet so many new people in a wide range of settings, both from the university community and from the Ann Arbor community in general.

Why would you recommend this internship to other students?

Absolutely! This internship is awesome, and couldn’t have a more awesome team of people to work with.