Student Testimonial–Farhan Ali

Why are you interested in Islamic Studies and what inspired you to enroll in Islam in Africa?

Growing up I never had the opportunity to learn about Islam through an academic lens. Moreover, I was very unfamiliar on how Islam had spread through the regions of North and West Africa. The opportunity to have a professor like Rudolph Ware explain to us the means through which Islam spread, the empires that arose from the region, and the impact of European colonialism in West Africa was an opportunity I could not pass on.

Have you taken previous Islamic Studies courses at the University? How do you feel about the digital component of learning?

Yes, in fact I am a Near Eastern Studies major. The digital component added a unique twist as some individuals were unsure about it. They thought having a large screen across the room from the professor would present a distraction to the students. However, our learning experience was unhindered and instead it allowed us to engage with students who attended other BIG TEN schools, some of which may not have the resources to teach an Islamic studies class like ours.

Is it beneficial for you to learn from a faculty member outside of this institution? In what ways?

I cannot elaborate on this experience since I was part of a class that hosted the curriculum. However, we did have one of the students from the Minnesota campus who was part of our DISC course to come to Ann Arbor and give a Friday prayer sermon. I give all the credit to DISC, because of their resources they allowed an opportunity like this to happen.

How does this course play into your major/course of study?

I am a Near Eastern Studies major as previously mentioned, and this class worked into my curriculum as it relates to the Near East, which can encompass the region of North Africa. 

If you are interested in pursuing a graduate degree in humanities, have you thought about future collaboration with DISC faculty?

Yes, of course! Being able to learn from and teach students who attend different institutions is a unique opportunity. These students may come from different communities and sometimes their host university is unable to provide the resources for a them to learn about Islam and its history. This is why I believe it is so important to have DISC as a bridge to connect these students to courses they might enjoy and benefit from.

Do you plan to take DISC courses in the future?

If my schedule next year allows for DISC courses, I would love to have another experience in a DISC classroom.