Earth Camp Staff

Idrees : Earth Camp Ann Arbor

Idrees

Earth Camp Ann Arbor

Hello! My name is Idrees. I am from Kalamazoo Michigan and am a former Earth Camp student myself. I am currently pursuing my undergrad through the Earth Department at U of M and I hope my background will help me provide the camp experience I enjoyed. Looking forward to meeting you all.

Alex : Earth Camp UP

Alex

Earth Camp UP

Alex is a Ph.D. Candidate in Earth and Environmental Sciences specializing in using computer models to study past climates. He enjoys communicating and sharing earth science with people of all ages. Alex grew up in Michigan and is an avid outdoorsman. He has taught undergraduate classes on earth science related to US national parks, both in Wyoming and Ann Arbor, and has traveled to over 25 US national parks.

Keely : Earth Camp Ann Arbor

Keely

Earth Camp Ann Arbor

My name is Keely and I love all things relating to the environment! My outdoor hobbies include backpacking, rock climbing and kayaking. My favorite travel destinations include Northern Michigan and Canada.

Jenna : Outreach Coordinator

Jenna

Outreach Coordinator

I grew up in Minnesota and went to the University of Minnesota where I majored in Geology. Afterward, I moved to California for my doctoral work at Scripps Institution of Oceanography.
I moved to Michigan eight years ago and live in Ann Arbor with my husband and two kids. I enjoy being outdoors with them; biking, fishing, camping, and exploring.
At U-M, I coordinate outreach activities for the Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences, including Earth Camp.
I am looking forward to an exciting summer with a new 10th grade Earth Camp group, and our returning 11th graders!

jennamun@umich.edu
Erica : Earth Camp Ann Arbor and Upper Peninsula

Erica

Earth Camp Ann Arbor and Upper Peninsula

Hello everyone! My name is Erica and I am a rising sophomore at U of M. I am planning on majoring in Earth and Environmental Science, and can't wait to return to Ann Arbor this fall. I am beyond excited to be working as a counselor for Earth Camp this summer, as I was a camper myself for all 3 summers in high school, and it was what got me interested in this field! In my free time, I enjoy spending time with my family and friends, as well as playing the guitar and making playlists. I can't wait to see what this summer of Earth Camp brings, and am excited to meet you all!

Alex T. : Earth Camp UP

Alex T.

Earth Camp UP

I have a broad background in Earth science with teaching experience at the middle, high school, and undergraduate levels. For my PhD research, I study plate tectonics and continental collision in the Caucasus mountains of eastern Europe. I am looking forward to exploring the geology of the Upper Peninsula with Earth Camp!

Ben : Earth Camp UP

Ben

Earth Camp UP

Hello everyone! My name is Ben Niemann and I am an Earth and Environmental Science major with plans of going to law school after graduating. I do research that investigates past El Nino events in the Galapagos Islands, so if paleoclimatology interests you, ask me about it! I love fishing, boating, and many different PC games.