About

I am a Political Science PhD candidate and Rackham Predoctoral Fellow at the University of Michigan.

My research is motivated by three broad questions. How do traumatic experiences – ranging from interstate wars and forced migration to public health crises – shape short- and long-term political attitudes, behaviors, and institutions? What are the historical roots of contemporary patterns of economic and political development? Are rhetorical appeals to the past persuasive? My work on these questions is published or forthcoming at both academic and policy journals – American Political Science Review, The Economic Journal, PLOS ONE, International Journal of Public Health, and Current History – and has been featured in popular press outlets like the Washington Post: Monkey Cage and The Conversation.

I am a Visiting Research Fellow at The Center for the Resolution of Intractable Conflict at Harris Manchester College, Oxford University. Before moving to Ann Arbor, I completed an MSc. in Economic History (Research) at the London School of Economics and Political Science and a B.A. in Economics and History at Middlebury College. I am also an alumnus of the United World Colleges initiative.