Home

I am an Assistant Professor of Organizational Studies and Psychology (by courtesy) at the University of Michigan.

My research is centered largely on structural and social-psychological solutions to problems of cooperation, collective action, and social order. Much of my work is motivated by my interest in understanding the roles of micro-level attitudes and behaviors in shaping macro-level outcomes. My methodological approach is quantitative and relies largely on experimental data. One key area of my research examines the dynamics of leadership, power, and influence in groups, with a focus on the social-psychological forces that both 1) promote “good leadership” and 2) allow groups and organizations to successfully meet their goals. Another area of my work has focused on understanding additional mechanisms that influence prosocial behavior and contributions to collective action. For instance, I have considered whether and how interpersonal moral judgments, religion, and social networks produce cooperation, generosity, and solidarity in groups.

Prior to joining Michigan, I earned a B.A. in Psychology and an M.A. and Ph.D. in Sociology at the University of South Carolina.

A recent version of my CV is here.