Stinchfield Woods in Dexter, MI near Portage Lake was purchased in 1929. It has a few separate parcels, two of which were used by the Department of Astronomy.
The first parcel was called the Portage Lake Observatory, and held two domes and a residence. One dome housed the Curtis-Schmidt telescope, now in Cerro Tololo Interamerican Observatory in Chile. The other dome held a 1.3-m telescope, which was moved to Arizona to become part of the McGraw-Hill Observatory.
Peach Mountain was the other parcel. It held 8.5 and 26 meter radio telescopes. Additionally, The McMath telescope from the McMath-Hulbert was transferred there, under the care of the University Lowbrow Astronomers.