A balancing act: summer sitting and nature time

by Alexis Heinz, former EEB GSI studying conservation ecology and landscape architecture

The semester is a whirlwind of social activity. Between studio time and ecology classes, days are filled with talking, observing, listening, and thinking. The fast-paced scholarly environment fits with the dynamic and bustling city of Ann Arbor.

Then summer arrives. As quickly as the season of finals leapt upon us, people depart and the city quiets. Where Dana was once a flurry of activity like a buzzing hive, the bees are out in the fields now, and the hive is still.

Daytime activity is different, too. Whereas the days were busy traveling from class to class and changing mental gears from one topic to another, daily work is more focused now. I sit much more, too. I suppose sitting is more of our culture these days, with the degree of time we spend in front of computer screens. To respect my legs, back, and neck, I find excuses throughout the day to walk, get outside, and go talk to people. The grounds around Dana house a variety of plants and wildlife, so short walks still provide the opportunity to observe the planar structure of nearby dogwoods, a newly planted Kentucky coffee tree on the far side of the diag, or the magnificent blooming magnolia on the east side of the building in spring.

A small pocket of nature offers respite from the computer screen blue light and restores cognitive functioning, too. So I step outside for five minutes a couple of times per day and either appreciate nature or make a quick phone call to a friend. On adventurous days, I walk further and take deep belly breaths.

How does one balance the more sedentary lifestyle with healthy activity? Early mornings are a great time to get up and get going, especially on hot, summer days. The mornings are still and peaceful, with the birds already singing. In the midst of the solemn, silent world, they are welcoming the day with their song. Gradually learning to bird over the last few years, I keep learning more species and their melodies.

Evenings are also a pleasant time to spend outside appreciating nature. Ann Arbor has a host of nature-oriented destinations and activities. Walking in the Arboretum solo or with a friend, tending a community garden plot, or doing some gentle weeding around where I live are all simple ways to get outside and stay grounded. This is important in the midst of a computer-focused summer job.

Another fun summertime activity for students and city residents alike is Shakespeare in the Arb. Under open skies, one gets to watch a live performance of traditional theater while the birds sing nearby and swallows swoop overhead. Experiencing live performance outside feels special because well-timed occurrences happen like a breeze whispering through the crowd during a pensive moment or a siren in the distance when actors are in the process of calling the guard. This improvisational element of the world outside is inspiring.

In sum, this summer is made up of the intellectual interest of scientific articles and field trips plus the social, cultural, and ecological appeal of various hobbies. The diversity of activity is so far supporting a summer of slow yet steady growth for this graduate student.

Copyright 2018 by Alexis Heinz. For questions or permissions contact  akheinz@umich.edu