The Humanities PhD Project supports doctoral students and faculty in the humanities as they imagine, plan for, and pursue multiple career paths as humanists in the world, in the academy and beyond.

Funded by the Andrew S. Mellon Foundation and the Rackham Graduate School, this project broadens the career paths of humanities doctoral students and considers new ways doctoral programs can support these efforts.

This website provides:

• Graduate students with career resources linked to different stages in their careers
  • Faculty with resources to mentor students, innovate courses, and re-examine doctoral curricula
  • A blog featuring the experiences of doctoral students who participated in Mellon Public Humanities fellowships and short-term immersives
  • Alumni voices showcasing the work of Michigan PhDs outside the tenure track
  • A calendar for humanities professionalization events and a form to submit new events to the calendar

Featured Content

Non-Academic Career Options for PhDs in the Humanities and Social Sciences

. Columbia University’s Center for Career Education has a page describing non-academic career options for PhDs in the humanities. In addition to lists of some of the most popular fields for PhDs pursuing humanities careers – i.e. higher education administration, non-profits, and government opportunities – for each field there are several suggested resources for further research.

“More than a sound, it’s a feel”

By Nicole Navarro, Doctoral Student, Department of History When I was accepted as a Mellon Fellow at the Charles H. Wright Museum in Detroit, I was excited for an opportunity to work in a museum setting. I have a background in museums as I worked for two and a half years at the Smithsonian’s National Museum of African American History and Culture prior to beginning my history PhD journey. I was motivated to apply for the Mellon Fellowship, and specifically to the Wright, to get back to museum work and […]

Promising Practices in Humanities PhD Professional Development

This report presents findings from the 2016-2017 Next Generation Humanities PhD Consortium that is useful for faculty and administrators interested in professional development. Funded by the NEH and facilitated by the Council of Graduate Schools, the document outlines lessons learned, suggests some practices encouraging career diversity, and includes some ideas about how to go forward with professional development.

View all posts
Rackham Graduate School Logo