Welcome

I am an anthropologist of sound, technology, and the senses. I study sensory practices in institutional and technological settings with a particular emphasis on the social life of sound. My current research investigates the production of noise in urban Taiwan and the way it mediates citizens’ relations to the state, to their neighbors, and to their own visceral experience.

Jennifer C. Hsieh standing in a yellow field at sundown. Hsieh is wearing a black blazer with a two-toned white top.

Publications

2022. “Noisy Co-Existence: Contestations of Renao and Zaoyin amidst Taiwan’s Noise Control System.” In Resounding Taiwan: Musical Reverberations Across a Vibrant Island, edited by Nancy Guy, 165–79. New York: Routledge. 

2021. “Noise Viscerality: Navigating Relations in a Sonic Climate.” HAU: Journal of Ethnographic Theory. 11(2): 491-505.

2021. “Making Noise in Urban Taiwan: Decibels, the State, and Sono-sociality.” American Ethnologist. 48(1): 51-64.

2020. “To Hear as I Do: The Concessions of Hearing in Taiwan’s Noise Management System.” In Testing Hearing: The Making of Modern Aurality, edited by Viktoria Tkaczyk, Mara Mills, and Alexandra Hui, 189–212. Oxford: Oxford University Press.

2019. “Piano Transductions: Music, Sound and Noise in Urban Taiwan.” Sound Studies Journal. 5(1)4-21: 4-21.