Welcome

Jennifer C. Hsieh standing in a yellow field at sundown. Hsieh is wearing a black blazer with a two-toned white top.

I am an anthropologist of sound, technology, and the senses. I study sensory practices in institutional and technological settings with a particular emphasis on the social life of sound. My current research investigates the production of noise in urban Taiwan and the way it mediates citizens’ relations to the state, to their neighbors, and to their own visceral experience.

Recent News

November 2021: My article, “Noise viscerality: Navigating relations in a sonic climate,” was published in the journal, Hau: Journal of Ethnographic Inquiry vol. 11 no.2.

November 2021: I participated in a book launch for the edited volume Resounding Taiwan, hosted by the Centre for Taiwan Studies at the SOAS University of London. A video recording of the launch event can be found here.

October 8, 2021: I will be giving a talk, “Hearing Like a State: Office Work and Noise Control in a Post-Authoritarian Bureaucracy,” in the Department of Music at Duke University. The talk is co-sponsored by the Asian Pacific Studies Institute and the Department of Cultural Anthropology.

August 2021: My book chapter, “Noisy Co-Existence: Contestations of  Renao  and  Zaoyin  Amidst Taiwan’s Noise Control System” was recently published in the edited volume, Resounding Taiwan: Musical Reverberations Across a Vibrant Island (Routledge, 2021), edited by Nancy Guy. The volume is a collaboration with musicologists, anthropologists, and ethnomusicologists of Taiwan.

July 2021: My article, “Making noise in urban Taiwan: Decibels, the state, and sono-sociality,” was recently published in American Ethnologist vol. 48 no. 1.