Home

I am an Assistant Professor of Organizational Studies and Sociology (by courtesy) at the University of Michigan.

I am generally interested questions related to inequality and public policy, primarily in U.S. cities. My first book, Constructing Community, was published with Princeton University Press. Other research has been published or is forthcoming in journals including the American Journal of Sociology, American Sociological Review, and Social Forces.

My current research is on the historical development and contemporary consequences of crime victim policy in the United States. I recently presented the first paper from this project, a comparative-historical analysis of victim compensation law (coauthored with Kelly Russell), at the Poverty Penalty Symposium sponsored by the University of Michigan Journal of Law Reform.

Before joining the faculty at Michigan, I earned an A.M. and Ph.D. in Sociology at Harvard University and was a doctoral fellow in the Inequality and Social Policy Program at the Harvard Kennedy School.

You can see a recent copy of my CV here.