Home

I am an Associate Professor of Organizational Studies and Sociology (by courtesy) at the University of Michigan.

I am a political and urban sociologist generally interested in questions related to inequality, especially in cities and criminal legal systems. My first book, Constructing Community (Princeton University Press), is an ethnography of urban development in Boston. I’ve also published articles in the American Journal of Sociology, American Sociological Review, and Social Forces, among other journals.

My current research is on the historical development and contemporary consequences of crime victim policy in the United States, with a particular focus on racial and gender inequality. I presented the first paper from this project, a comparative-historical analysis of victim compensation law (coauthored with Kelly Russell), at the University of Michigan Law School. I am expanding this work in a series of articles with several collaborators, as well as my second book with Princeton University Press. The LSA Magazine covered my ongoing research in this area for the Fall 2023 issue.

Before joining the faculty at Michigan, I earned an A.M. and Ph.D. in Sociology at Harvard University and was a doctoral fellow in the Inequality and Social Policy Program at the Harvard Kennedy School.

You can see a recent copy of my CV here.