Home

I am an Assistant Professor of Organizational Studies and Sociology at the University of Michigan. In general, my work focuses on questions of politics, organizations, and inequality in US cities. I have published articles on the political role of nonprofits in poor neighborhoods, cultural processes and inequality in participatory democracy, and the relationship between neighborhood racial composition and an important, but under-studied political behavior: contacting government for basic city services. My most recent research analyzes the effect of social and economic change on local governments’ use of fines and forfeits. My current book project, based on four years of ethnographic fieldwork in Boston, describes the changing structure of urban governance and the increasingly fuzzy boundary separating private organizations from public policy. Before joining the faculty at Michigan, I earned an A.M. and Ph.D. in Sociology at Harvard University and was a doctoral fellow in the Inequality and Social Policy Program at the Harvard Kennedy School.

You can see a recent copy of my CV here.
Levine_Jeremy