Home

Black Holes and Neutron Stars:
Spin, accretion, ejection, and disruption

New telescopes, detectors, and advanced techniques allow us to study black holes and neutron stars as never before.  Research in the Miller group focuses on measuring the fundamental properties of these objects, such as black hole spin and the neutron star radius and equation of state.  We also study how black holes grow and evolve, including the astrophysics of accretion, black hole feedback into local environments through radiation, winds, and jets, and the disruption of unfortunate stars that wander too close to black holes.

Jon

I came to the University of Michigan in 2005.  Prior to that, I was an NSF Astronomy & Astrophysics Postdoctoral Fellow at the Harvard-Smithsonian CfA, a graduate student at MIT, and an undergraduate at the University of Pennsylvania.  I am continually energized by the ideas and drive of my diverse and active research group, and by the innovative atmosphere within our department.   My roles in a number of brand new telescopes, approved missions in development, and new mission concepts keep me thinking about the future, which is sure to be very bright for studies of black holes and neutron stars.  Current Miller team members hail from Detroit, Illinois, Las Vegas, New York, Algeria, Ecuador, and Ireland, and soon also Lebanon and Canada, and there is always room in the team for excellent postdocs and fellows, graduate students, and undergraduates.