Home

My name is Julia Maynard, and I am a PhD student in the Department of Political Science at the University of Michigan. I study party politics and voting behavior mostly within the context of European Politics. My interests are within the dynamics of mainstream parties and niche parties- how these parties react to each other as well as reasons why voters would choose one over the other. I mostly focus on the rise of populist parties in Western Europe and understanding how mainstream parties have shifted their strategies to prevent their electoral success. My masters thesis focused on the case of the 2015 UK General Election, trying to find the determining factor between UKIP and Conservative Party voters.

I have my BA in Political Science and French Studies from the University of Portland, and my MA in Political Science  from McGill University. I started studying comparative politics at the University of Michigan in 2017. In addition to classes taken at I have attended, I have also received training at the EITM-Mannheim on text as data as well as training on time series analysis from the University of Essex. In the summer of 2016, I also conducted fieldwork in Europe interviewing party officials.