Home

My name is Julia Maynard, and I am a PhD Candidate in the Department of Political Science at the University of Michigan. I study party politics and voting behavior mostly within the context of European Politics. My interests are within the dynamics of mainstream parties and niche parties- how these parties react to each other as well as reasons why voters would choose one over the other. I mostly focus on the rise of populist parties in Western Europe and understanding how mainstream parties have shifted their strategies to prevent their electoral success.

I have my BA in Political Science and French Studies from the University of Portland, and my MA in Political Science  from McGill University. I started studying comparative politics at the University of Michigan in 2017. In addition to classes taken at I have attended, I have also received training at the EITM-Mannheim on text as data as well as training on time series analysis from the University of Essex. In the summer of 2016, I also conducted fieldwork in Europe interviewing party officials.