Suicide is one of the leading causes of death among youth and young adults in the United States. However, most individuals at high risk for suicide go unrecognized and untreated, and for half of these suicides, the first suicide attempt is fatal. Suicide prevention strategies include universal, population-based approaches; selective approaches that target high risk subgroups, and indicated approaches with individuals at elevated risk for suicide. Our team is conducting research on strategies across this continuum to develop improved screening, risk assessment, and prevention/intervention strategies.
- King CA, Arango A, Kramer A, Busby D, Czyz E, Foster CE, Gillespie BW. Association of the Youth-Nominated Support Team Intervention for suicidal adolescents with 11-to 14-year mortality outcomes: Secondary analysis of a randomized clinical trial. JAMA Psychiatry. In Press. PMID: 30725077
- Vaughn LM, Sunny CE, Lindquist-Grantz R, King CA, Brent DA, Boyd S, Grupp-Phelan J. Successful suicide screening in the pediatric emergency department: Youth, parent, researcher, and clinician perspectives. Archives of Suicide Research. In press. PMID: 30537901
- Hong V, Ewell Foster CJ, Magness CS, McGuire TC, Smith PK, King CA. 13 Reasons Why: Viewing patterns and perceived impact among youths at risk of suicide. Psychiatric Services. 2019; 70(2):107-114.
- Czyz EK, King CA, Biermann BJ. Motivational interviewing-enhanced safety planning for adolescents at high suicide risk: A pilot randomized controlled trial. J Clin Child Adolesc Psychol. In press. PMID: 30142300
- Czyz EK, Horwitz AG, Arango A, King CA. Short‐term change and prediction of suicidal ideation among adolescents: a daily diary study following psychiatric hospitalization. J Child Psychol Psychiatry. In press. PMID: 30246870
- Czyz EK, King CA, Nahum-Shani I. Ecological assessment of daily suicidal thoughts and attempts among suicidal teens after psychiatric hospitalization: Lessons about feasibility and acceptability. Psychiatry Res. 2018; 267:566-674. PMID: 30031317
- Arango A, Cole-Lewis Y, Lindsay R, Yeguez CE, Clark M, King CA. The protective role of connectedness on depression and suicidal ideation among bully victimized youth. J Clin Child Adolesc Psychol. In press. PMID: 29565682
- Horwitz AG, Czyz EK, Berona J, King CA. Rumination, brooding, and reflection: Prospective associations with suicide ideation and suicide attempts. Suicide Life Threat Behav. In Press . PMID: 30099778
- King CA, Gipson PY, Arango A, et al. LET’s CONNECT community mentorship program for youths with peer social problems: Preliminary findings from a randomized effectiveness trial. J Community Psychol. 2018; 46(7), 885-902.
- King CA, Arango A, Ewell Foster C. Emerging trends in adolescent suicide prevention research. Curr Opin Psychol. 2018; 22:89-94. PMID: 28961458
- Horwitz AG, Czyz EK, Berona J, King CA. Prospective associations of coping styles with depression and suicide risk among psychiatric emergency patients. Behav Ther. 2018; 49(2):225-236. PMID: 29530261