Suicide is one of the leading causes of death among youth and young adults in the United States. However, most individuals at high risk for suicide go unrecognized and untreated, and for half of these suicides, the first suicide attempt is fatal. Suicide prevention strategies include universal, population-based approaches; selective approaches that target high risk subgroups, and indicated approaches with individuals at elevated risk for suicide. Our team is conducting research on strategies across this continuum to develop improved screening, risk assessment, and prevention/intervention strategies.
2016 and 2017 Publications:
- DiCorcia DJ, Arango A, Horwitz, AG, King CA. Methods and functions of non-suicidal self-injury among adolescents seeking emergency psychiatric services. J Psychopathol Behav Assess. In press.
- Czyz EC, Horwitz AG, Yeguez CE, Ewell Foster C, King CA. Parental self-efficacy to support teens during a suicidal crisis and future adolescent emergency department visits and suicide attempts. Journal of Clinical Child & Adolescent Psychology. In press.
- Ewell Foster C, Burnside A, Smith PK, Kramer A, Wills A, King CA. Identification, response, and referral of suicidal youth following ASIST training. Suicide Life Threat Behav. In press. PMID: 27371815
- King CA, Horwitz A, Czyz E, Lindsay R. Suicide risk screening in healthcare settings: Identifying males and females at risk. J Clin Psychol Med Settings. 2017;24(1):8-20. PMID: 28251427
- Horwitz AG, Berona J, Czyz EK, Yeguez CE, King CA. Positive and negative expectations of hopelessness as longitudinal predictors of depression, suicidal ideation, and suicidal behavior in high-risk adolescents. Suicide Life Threat Behav. 2017;47(2):168-176. PMID: 27371943
- Berona J, Horwitz AG, Czyz EK, King CA. Psychopathology profiles of acutely suicidal adolescents: Associations with post-discharge suicide attempts and rehospitalization. J Affect Disord. 2017; 209:97-104. PMID: 27894037
- Betz ME, Wintersteen M, Boudreaux ED, Brown G, Capoccia L, Currier G, Goldstein J, King CA, Manton A, Stanley B, Harkavy-Friedman, J. Reducing suicide risk: Challenges and opportunities in the emergency department. Ann Emerg Med. 2016; 68(6):758-765. PMID: 27451339
- Arango A, Opperman KJ, Gipson PY, King CA. Suicidal ideation and suicide attempts among youth who report bully victimization, bully perpetration and/or low social connectedness. J Adolesc. 2016; 51(1):19-29. PMID: 27262934
- Czyz EK, Horwitz AG, Arango A, Cole-Lewis Y, Berona J, King CA. Coping with suicidal urges among youth seen in a psychiatric emergency department. Psychiatry Res. 2016; 241(1):175-181. PMID: 27179183
- Czyz EK, Horwitz AG, King CA. Self-rated expectations of suicidal behavior predict future suicide attempts among adolescents and young adult psychiatric emergency patients. Depress Anxiety. 2016; 33(6):512-519. PMID: 27110663
- Cole-Lewis Y, Gipson P, Opperman K, Arango A, King CA. Protective Role of Religious Involvement against Depression and Suicidal Ideation Among Youth with Interpersonal Problems. J Relig Health. 2016; 55(4):1172-1188. PMID: 26872965
- Czyz E, Berona J, King CA. Rehospitalization among suicidal adolescents in relation to course of suicidal ideation and future suicide attempts. Psychiatr Serv. 2016; 67(3):332-338. PMID: 26725287