Suicide is one of the leading causes of death among youth and young adults in the United States. However, most individuals at high risk for suicide go unrecognized and untreated, and for half of these suicides, the first suicide attempt is fatal. Suicide prevention strategies include universal, population-based approaches; selective approaches that target high risk subgroups, and indicated approaches with individuals at elevated risk for suicide. Our team is conducting research on strategies across this continuum to develop improved screening, risk assessment, and prevention/intervention strategies.
- King CA, Gipson PY, Arango A, et al. LET’s CONNECT community mentorship program for youths with peer social problems: Preliminary findings from a randomized effectiveness trial. J Community Psychol. In press.
- Arango A, Cole-Lewis Y, Lindsay R, Yeguez CE, Clark M, King CA. The protective role of connectedness on depression and suicidal ideation among bully victimized youth. J Clin Child Adolesc Psychol. In press.
- Horwitz AG, Czyz EK, Berona J, King CA. Prospective associations of coping styles with depression and suicide risk among psychiatric emergency patients. Behav Ther. 2018;49(2):225-236. PMID: 29530261
- DiCorcia DJ, Arango A, Horwitz, AG, King CA. Methods and functions of non-suicidal self-injury among adolescents seeking emergency psychiatric services. J Psychopathol Behav Assess. 2017; 39: 693-704.
- Foster CE, Horwitz A, Thomas A, Opperman K, Gipson P, Burnside A, … King CA. Connectedness to family, school, peers, and community in socially vulnerable adolescents. Children and Youth Services Review. 2017; 81: 321-331.
- Czyz EC, Horwitz AG, Yeguez CE, Ewell Foster C, King CA. Parental self-efficacy to support teens during a suicidal crisis and future adolescent emergency department visits and suicide attempts. J Clin Child Adolesc Psychol. 2017; 1-13. PMID: 28715239
- King CA, Arango A, Ewell Foster C. Emerging trends in adolescent suicide prevention research. Curr Opin Psychol. 2017;22:89-94. PMID: 28961458
- Ewell Foster C, Burnside A, Smith PK, Kramer A, Wills A, King CA. Identification, response, and referral of suicidal youth following ASIST training. Suicide Life Threat Behav. 2017;47(3):297-308. PMID: 27371815
- King CA, Horwitz A, Czyz E, Lindsay R. Suicide risk screening in healthcare settings: Identifying males and females at risk. J Clin Psychol Med Settings. 2017;24(1):8-20. PMID: 28251427
- Horwitz AG, Berona J, Czyz EK, Yeguez CE, King CA. Positive and negative expectations of hopelessness as longitudinal predictors of depression, suicidal ideation, and suicidal behavior in high-risk adolescents. Suicide Life Threat Behav. 2017;47(2):168-176. PMID: 27371943
- Berona J, Horwitz AG, Czyz EK, King CA. Psychopathology profiles of acutely suicidal adolescents: Associations with post-discharge suicide attempts and rehospitalization. J Affect Disord. 2017; 209:97-104. PMID: 27894037