Home

academic profile photo

I’m an Assistant Professor in the English Department at the University of Michigan, with an additional affiliation in the Department of Film, Television, and Media. My research focuses on the intersections of language ideology, political movements, and aesthetic forms. I work in a field that is now variously named as postcolonial literature, world literature, or global Anglophone; in regional terms, my work focuses on South Asian, southern African, and African American literatures (with the occasional foray into cinema studies).

My monograph, Imperfect Solidarities: Tagore, Gandhi, Du Bois, and the Forging of the Global Anglophone, will be published in 2020 by Northwestern University Press. You can find much more detail under the research tab. You can also read some of my recent publications, or peruse my CV.

My teaching reflects the breadth of my research interests, and I regularly offer undergraduate courses in literary theory, Black British literature, South Asian cinema, and the global novel. You can find some of my teaching materials, including graduate syllabi, as well as notes for prospective (and former) students, under the teaching tab.

I welcome both the Bengali (মধুমিতা লাহিড়ী) and the Hindi (मधुमिता लहिड़ी) pronunciations of my name. You can listen to an audio recording of the latter here.