Home

academic profile photo

I’m an Assistant Professor in the English Department at the University of Michigan. My research focuses on the intersections of language ideology, political movements, and aesthetic forms. I work in a field that is now variously named as postcolonial literature, world literature, or global Anglophone; I am currently completing a book manuscript, Writing the International, that responds to these debates through a focus on the internationalist movements of the early twentieth century. You can find much more detail under the research tab; or, read some of my recent publications; or peruse my CV.

My sense of the global is heavily informed by my personal trajectory: my childhood in New Delhi, my university education in the United States, my postdoctoral research in South Africa, and my research and teaching in the United Kingdom. I received my Ph.D. from Duke University, in English and feminist studies, in 2010, and my B.A. from Yale University, in English and mathematical economics, in 2004. I have held postdoctoral fellowships at the Centre for Indian Studies in Africa at the University of the Witwatersrand (Johannesburg) and at Brown University (Providence, RI). Prior to joining the University of Michigan in 2014, I was an Assistant Professor at the University of Warwick (United Kingdom).