Research Files – Manan Desai

Research Files

With the publication of my book The United States of India: Anticolonial Literature & Transnational Refraction (2020), I wanted to make available the research files from various archives and special collections that I had a chance to visit in the process of researching this book.  Some of the materials used are already available through existing digital archives like the South Asian American Digital Archive and the W.E.B. Du Bois Papers at UMass Amherst.

If you would like to look at any of these materials, just email me and I’ll share a dropbox link.

Dhan Gopal Mukerji

The majority of these materials for Mukerji come from the E.P. Dutton & Company records at the Special Collections library at Syracuse University.  A few from the National Archives at College Park, Maryland.

National Archives at College Park, Maryland

The files come from Record Group 165 (Records of the WDGS), Military Intelligence Division (MID) Correspondence from 1917-1941.  They contain materials on Agnes Smedley, Lajpat Rai, Sailendra Ghose and others involved in the Friends of Freedom for India.

The largest amount of files (3000+) come from File Group 9771-72, they have been broken into separate PDFs.

• RG 165 MID
    • File Group 9140-5862
    • File Group 10497-722
    • File Group 10541-722
    • File Group P.F. 1453
    • File Group 9771-72