Welcome!

I am a Ph.D. Candidate in Political Science at the University of Michigan. My primary research interests include race, public opinion, and political behavior in the American context. My methodological expertise is primarily in designing, conducting, and analyzing surveys and experiments, as well as experience with qualitative interviewing and analysis. I received both my B.A. with Highest Honors and M.A. in Political Science from the University of Michigan.

My dissertation, The Politics of Skin Color, argues that skin color – the lightness or darkness of one’s skin tone – is an important but rarely acknowledged force in American politics. Building from multiple observational datasets and 67 in-depth qualitative interviews, I demonstrate that skin color is a politically-meaningful social identity for African Americans. My dissertation is supported by the National Science Foundation Doctoral Dissertation Research Improvement Grant and a National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship, as well as several fellowships and awards from the University of Michigan’s Rackham Graduate School, University of Michigan Department of Political Science, and the Center for Political Studies at the Institute for Social Research.