Welcome!

I am a Rackham Pre-Doctoral Fellow and Ph.D. Candidate in Political Science at the University of Michigan where I specialize in American politics. My research is supported by the National Science Foundation Doctoral Dissertation Research Improvement Grant, a National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship, and the Hanes Walton Award in Racial and Ethnic Politics Research, as well as several other fellowships, grants, and awards. My full CV can be accessed here.

My research interests center on advancing our understanding of race and ethnic politics, public opinion, political behavior, and research design in the American context. My methodological expertise is primarily in designing, conducting, and analyzing surveys and experiments, as well as experience with qualitative interviewing and analysis.

My dissertation, The Politics of Skin Color, demonstrates that exclusively studying race as a categorical variable is insufficient for understanding the landscape of American racial politics. I apply a mixed-methods approach in my research: analyzing multiple survey datasets, conducting and analyzing 67 in-depth interviews, and designing and conducting multiple experiments. My project reveals cracks in traditional theories of race and politics with important implications for policy-makers, political candidates, as well as a general framework that can be adapted and extended across groups and contexts. More detailed information about my dissertation is available here.