RC Creative Writing alumna Elena Potek’s social media project

ElenaPotekRC Creative Writing alumna Elena Potek (RC 2015) recently concluded a “30 day/30 women” social media project: each day on Facebook she posted about a different woman in her life who has inspired her, and who embodies “a wonderful trait that lights up the world around them.” (One of the featured women was the RC’s Laura Thomas). Elena got the idea from a former theater director, Aaron Gabriel, who was posting about a different woman each day, 38 days out from the national election, to counter “other people’s low value of women.” Elena says, ” I can’t begin to describe what an incredible experience it has been for me to reflect on all of the truly amazing women who have helped to shape me, and to see how positively people have reacted to the posts has shown me how deeply important it is to actively affirm those in our lives and share more positivity with the world around us.”

Elena has started a new 30-day project on Facebook: lifting up non-profits that folks might want to donate time and money to in the the wake of the election.

Since graduation, Elena has been living in Chicago and working as a management consultant in the healthcare space. She hopes to return to graduate school in the near future to fulfill her dream of becoming a sex therapist and educator.