Teaching

    Photo with undergraduate mentee Holly Holland

My teaching is deeply intertwined with my research. I have been the Instructor of Record for a self-designed course on Gender and American Politics, and have served as a Graduate Student Instructor (GSI) for Political Science Research Design, Introduction to American Politics, and the American Presidency. Through my teaching, I develop students critical thinking skills while also introducing them to a wide range of theories and methods within the social sciences. I love involving students in my research and challenge mentees to both provide their own insights and also develop their own projects around questions related to the project they’re working on. I’m prepared to teach a range of courses in American Politics and Research Design, at both the undergraduate and graduate level, including but not limited to: Introduction to American Politics, Introduction to Social Science Research Design, Gender and American Politics, Campaigns and Elections, Political Behavior, Political Psychology, LGBTQ+ Politics, Survey and Experimental Methods, and Qualitative Methods.

Information about my teaching experience and examples of sample syllabi can be found below.

Prior Teaching Experience

PolSci 389: Gender and American Politics – Instructor of Record

Developed and taught a course on gender within the American political context. This course challenged students to grapple with questions related to gender identity, attitudes and behavior within the U.S. political system, both contemporary and historical, while also engaging with how institutions shape and are shaped by a gender lens. As Instructor of Record, I designed the syllabus and writing assignments, and taught all of the content for the course.

Course syllabus.

PolSci 111: Introduction to American Politics – Graduate Student Instructor

Led discussion sections on a broad range of American Politics topics within the areas of institutions, behavior and the development of the American political system. Designed both short and long writing assignments, graded papers, and assisted with exam content development.

Proposed course syllabus.

PolSci 381: Political Science Research – Graduate Student Instructor

Provided mentorship and guidance to 80 juniors, across two semesters, as they developed proposals for the theories and research designs for their senior theses. Projects spanned a wide range of political science topics and methodologies. I also guest lectured on survey and experimental methods using Qualtrics and Mechanical Turk, and implementing qualitative and quantitative content analysis techniques.

Proposed course syllabus.

PolSci 320: The American Presidency – Graduate Student Instructor

Led discussion sections for 75 students in which they developed and implemented group original research projects about the American Presidency. Provided guidance and feedback about the data collection and analysis for these projects. Graded quizzes, writing assignments and final projects. Guest lectured about the impact of media on the U.S. Presidency.