young man sits on railing overlooking city

Groundbreaking Findings and Cultural Exploration – Interning Abroad in Portugal

By Rachel Hai, LSA IIP

In the summer of 2015, two LSA students, Matthew Pavlovic and Olivia Smyth, set out to explore all that their internships in Lisbon, Portugal had to offer.

Pavlovic details the fear of ambiguity in his first blogpost, “I was excited and nervous at the same time. I wasn’t really sure what to expect once I arrived.” From the moment they landed, however, all doubts were cast aside as they were swept into the hospitality of their research team from Universidade Lusófona de Humanidades eTecnologias and immersed in the culture of Lisbon, beginning what Smyth would call “the best experience I’ve ever had.”

Create your own souvenir

Pavlovic and Smyth spent their days at COPELABS alongside a neuropsychological team in order to improve existing processes to better assess and rehabilitate individuals with cognitive ability impairments. The final tangible result of the summer’s research work was a published paper!

Young woman stands before the sign for the university in Lisbon.
Olivia sports her Michigan pride at the Universidade Lusófona de Humanidades eTecnologias where she spent the summer interning.

Show me your eyes! The combined use of eye tracking and virtual reality applications for cognitive reassessment” (Rosa, Gamito, Oliveira, Morais, Pavlovic, Smyth 2015), identifies a correlation between eye movement and cognitive abilities, a crucial finding for improving future medical practices regarding neurodegenerative diseases such as Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s and dementia. Smyth reflects on the publication of the scholarly article as “the most rewarding experience” of the trip.

Smyth describes the cultural work differences and autonomy as one of the most interesting aspects of her internship. “We were basically on our own,” Smyth remembers. “We were in charge of our own progress and deadlines.” The work culture in Portugal seemed more lenient and trusting, allowing Pavlovic and Smyth to choose both when they arrived to and left from work. “I was used to a rigid schedule where everything was set and organized and I knew exactly what was expected of me. This new work environment was new and interesting, and I learned to thrive in it,” says Smyth.

More than just a job

Pavlovic and Smyth struck a balance between their work and personal affairs, exploring both Portugal and Spain during free time. Pavlovic recounts Lisbon away from work, highlighting “eating grilled sardines at 3am during the Festival of Saints” and “entering castles with breathtaking views.” Smyth recalls Madrid, “the tapas, the museums, the people, everything”, and notes that she was able to communicate more effectively while the two were touring Spain.

a bakery display of small tarts
Pastel de nata, the delicious siren of the custardy tart world.

When asked for advice regarding her specific internship, Smyth remarked that interns should travel every weekend and explore what Europe has to offer. “EAT EVERY PASTEL DE NATA THAT YOU SEE,” she exclaimed, “I miss them everyday.” Most importantly, however, Smyth emphasized that future interns should “try to learn Portuguese,” admitting that she and Pavlovic regret not spending more time mastering the language.

Overall, Smyth and Pavlovic agree that the trip was unforgettable and life-changing. “I didn’t want it to end. I made friends that I will never forget and memories that will never fade. So for that, Portugal, I thank you,” Smyth writes.