Home

AJM-Putangirua
I am a biological anthropologist, tropical ecologist, and conservation biologist primarily interested in the ecology and conservation of primates and tropical forests.

My principal research areas are the ecology, evolution, and conservation of primates and their rainforest habitats, and application of the knowledge gleaned from these studies to advance understanding of human evolution. My study subjects are chiefly diurnal primates (particularly orangutans, gibbons, and leaf monkeys) and tropical forests in Indonesia; the majority of my empirical work is based on data collected at my long-term research site in Gunung Palung National Park, West Kalimantan.

My formal academic appointment is split between the Department of Anthropology and the Program in the Environment at the University of Michigan, where I am also affiliated with the Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology and the School of Environment and Sustainability.

Office hours (Fall semester 2017): Mondays 10am–11:30am; by appointment

Google scholar                         Research Gate                          CV (pdf)