Home

AJM-Putangirua
I am a biological anthropologist, tropical ecologist, and conservation biologist primarily interested in the ecology and conservation of vertabrates and tropical forests.

My principal research areas are the ecology, evolution, and conservation of vertebrates and their rainforest habitats, and application of the knowledge gleaned from these studies to advance understanding of human evolution. My study subjects are chiefly large vertebrates (with a particular focus on apes, hornbills, and the community of five sympatric felids at our site) and tropical forests in Indonesia; the majority of my empirical work is based on data collected at my long-term research site, the Cabang Panti Research Station in Gunung Palung National Park, West Kalimantan.

I also direct the One Forest Project, a group that integrates collaborative conservation research, community outreach, and capacity-building activities in the tropical forests in and around Gunung Palung National Park. Our partners in these endeavors are indigenous field researchers, citizen-scientists from local communities, the public in villages surrounding GPNP, members of local and international conservation NGOs, Indonesian and international students and scientists, and staff from GPNP and other national parks in Borneo. In 2015, we began a large-scale camera trapping study to monitor threatened vertebrates across a range of natural forest types, and more recently we have begun sampling in several sites exposed to anthropogenic disturbance.

My formal academic appointment is split between the Department of Anthropology and the Program in the Environment at the University of Michigan, where I am also affiliated with the Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology and the School of Environment and Sustainability.

Office hours for Fall 2018: Tuesdays 3-4:30 and by appointment.

Google scholar                         Research Gate                          CV (pdf)