I am a PhD. Candidate in Political Science at the University of Michigan with a focus on American Politics and conflict in the United States. My work focuses on the impact of violence — specifically violence driven by identity — on political participation and public opinion. My research also considers the political legacies of conflict in the United States, emphasizing dynamics of social identity and hierarchy. With interests in both contemporary and historical conflict, I have conducted intensive archival work on the legacies of Civil Rights Era violence and terrorism in the American south, and I continue to examine the implications of such violence for present-day political behavior.

I am an American Political Science Foundation Minority Fellow, and my research has been supported by the Hanes Walton Award for the Study of Race and Ethnic Politics, in addition to the Converse-Miller Fellowship in American Political Behavior. I am a member of the University of Michigan’s Conflict and Peace, Research and Development (CPRD) workshop and Interdisciplinary Workshop on American Politics (IWAP).

Prior to moving to Michigan, I was a life-long Tennessean and completed my B.A. in Politics at Sewanee: the University of the South.

Contact

Kiela Crabtree
crabtka@umich.edu
5775 Haven Hall

505 South State Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48109

Follow me on Twitter