I am an Associate Professor of Mathematics and the Associate Chair for Education in the Mathematics Department at the University of Michigan. I hold a BS in Mathematics from Bucknell University and an MS and Ph.D. in Mathematics from the University of Connecticut. I also passed the series of professional examinations that lead to the Associate of the Society of Actuaries (ASA) designation.

My research focuses on qualitative and quantitative properties of solutions to differential equations and free-boundary problems that arise in actuarial and financial mathematics. In particular, I study strategies to minimize the probability of financial ruin in retirement. In earlier work, I studied differential equations that govern the motion of nonlinearly suspended structures such as suspension bridges.

Recently, I directed the Industry Partnership Program (IPP) at the University of Michigan. The IPP is designed to facilitate collaboration between academics and practitioners in insurance and actuarial and financial mathematics on problems that are directly relevant to industry.

Prior to graduate study, I worked in the insurance industry for four years.

The University of Michigan is recognized by the Society of Actuaries as a Center of
Actuarial Excellence. Only 32 institutions in the world share this designation.