FAQs

Format of 2024 Program

Will the 2024 program be remote or in-person? 

• We expect the 2024 program to be fully in-person in Ann Arbor, depending on the status of the pandemic.

Will you provide housing for admitted students?

• For an in-person program, interns will be responsible for securing their own housing in Ann Arbor. We would be happy to help with looking for affordable housing options in Ann Arbor.

Eligibility

Are international students (non-US citizens) eligible to apply? 

• If you are an F1 student who is currently attending college in the US, please check with an international student advisor at your home institution to make sure your participation would be permitted by your visa type.
  • If you attend college outside of the US, we are unable to sponsor any visas.

Are recent college graduates, master’s students, and PhD students eligible to apply?

• The main goal of our program is to introduce current undergraduates to developmental psychology research topics and methods. Therefore, this program is best suited for rising juniors and seniors who are interested in pursuing graduate studies in psychology. We will still consider applications from recent college graduates and master’s students, but not students who are already enrolled in PhD programs.

Funding

Is there funding available?

• We will offer full stipends to competitive non-UM candidates, with priority given to students from groups that are underrepresented in STEM. To be eligible, applicants must be US citizens or permanent residents and must commit to full-time positions (40 hr/week). Applicants are also highly encouraged to apply for funding from their home institutions or outside sources, and we would be happy to support these applications. Additional funding might be available on a case-by-case basis for students who are not able to find funding.

Do I have to pay to be a part of the program?

• No, there is no fee associated with participating in our program.

Application

Are there guidelines for reference letters?

• We require a standard letter of reference that the letter writer can upload directly to our online application. You will receive an email when your letter of recommendation has been submitted. Your application is not considered complete until the letter of recommendation has been received by the MSPICED committee.

How do I go about choosing which lab fits my research interest?

• Please go to the “Researchers” page to gain more information on ongoing research projects in each lab. In addition, you can use the questions about motivation and goals on the application to express more about what you are interested in. We will use your answer to the ranking question as well as the motivation and goals questions to place you in a lab which we deem fit for you.

If I am accepted, will I get into my first-choice lab?

• We will do our best to match interns with their preferred labs, but we cannot guarantee that everyone will receive their first choice.

Can I re-apply to the program? If so, how?

• Yes, you may re-apply to the MSPICED Program. To do so, please complete the application again and provide updated recommendation letters. Information from the last application cycle will not be transferred.

Notification & Interview

Will there be interviews?

• Some candidates may be selected to interview with us over Zoom.

When will I hear back?

• We are aiming to send out final decisions in mid to late March.

For more questions, please visit our Twitter feed (@MSPICED). If your question has not been answered on the website and/or the Twitter feed, you may email MSPICED-admin@umich.edu.