Bio

I am an Associate Professor of Political Science at the University of Michigan and a Faculty Associate at the University’s Center for Political Studies and Weiser Center for Emerging Democracies.

My research focuses on political behavior, clientelism, and the development of political parties in new democracies in Africa. My first book, Electoral Politics and Africa’s Urban Transition: Class and Ethnicity in Ghana (Cambridge University Press), examines electoral competition in urban Africa. My new book project explores the long-run legacies of state-building in hinterland regions on socio-economic inequality, clientelism, and access to political power.

My research has also been published in the American Political Science Review, American Journal of Political Science, Annual Review of Political Science, British Journal of Political Science, Comparative Political Studies, Journal of Politics, and World Politics. I completed my PhD at Harvard University’s Department of Government in 2016. For more on my research, please see Papers and Manuscripts, as well as my CV. I’m tweeting at @noahlnathan.