Masters of Data Science – Department of Statistics Winter 2020 Graduation

Masters of Data Science

A Message From The Program Director…

Professor Tailen Hsing
Director of Master’s Program (Data Science)

Congratulations to the Class of 2020 on your graduation!

You were the first batch of students in our Data Science Master’s Program. Just a few months ago, I was looking forward to holding a proper graduation ceremony to send you off. Of course, the plan was derailed by the worst pandemic in a hundred years. Fanfair now has to be replaced by a few parting words spoken from the heart.

I sincerely hope that you have had a positive experience in the Data Science Program and at University of Michigan. I hope that you have benefited from your courses, enjoyed the company of your classmates, and made friends. Most of all, I hope the experience has helped you craft a vision of your career and life in general. I normally don’t give advice, but I’ll make an exception on this special occasion.

First, let’s all take care of ourselves and pay attention to work-life balance. That may include many things, for instance, managing stress and spending time with family and friends. Your life and work will be more meaningful if you can achieve this.

Second, let’s have dreams and think outside the box. By that I don’t mean pursuing risky adventures. However, I am saying this is an excellent time to be creative in coming up with big plans on what you want to achieve in the next few years.

Third, let’s be positive and not worry too much about the future. This advice may ring hollow at the moment. COVID-19 has caused losses and pain to a lot of people. However, the pandemic will be over before long. Data scientists will have an even more prominent role and more opportunities in the post-pandemic world. For instance, one can predict that biomedical data science will be an area that governments and industry alike will rush to develop. I am confident your future will be bright!

With that I bid my farewell to you, Class of 2020. It was a pleasure and an honor to have you in the program. Be safe, do well, and keep in touch.

Go Blue!

Memories and Plans for Masters of Data Science Graduates

No post found