UM Language Matters
All accents, dialects, and languages deserve respect. How can you help us spread the word?
Are you interested in issues of…
- Language diversity on and around our campus?
- Social justice, inclusivity, and equality?
- Linguistic discrimination (A.K.A. linguistic profiling)?
- How different dialects and languages are treated on campus and in the classroom?
- The ways in which intentional language can be used for positive social impact?
We are too! Throughout the year we will be hosting several events that may be of interest to you.
Want to know more? Read our short Mission Statement here and watch our video about language on University of Michigan’s campus below!
How did this initiative start?
UM Language Matters was spear-headed by a collection of graduate students and faculty at University of Michigan who realized a need for this group in our campus climate. We aim to provide resources and help in better navigating issues of linguistic diversity and discrimination – both inside and outside of the classroom. Click here to meet the initiative’s current Steering Committee members.