More Quotes

Bruce Schultz

Bruce Schultz

DHSP Year: 2008–2009
Home Town: Lapeer, MI
Major: Biochemistry
Plans: I recently obtained my Master’s Degree in Bioinformatics and now work at Fraunhofer SCAI in Germany. I am not sure whether I will pursue a PhD in the future, but I am currently focusing on developing my project management skills. Updated Jan 2020
DHSP was one of the best experiences of my life. I love math and was thrilled to be given the opportunity to apply the concepts taught in class to real world scenarios. This class not only gives you the tools to use math in life, but also a different way to view problems and their solutions. DHSP also was a great social experience. Through this class I have made incredible friends that I continue to keep in touch with and would highly recommend this program to anyone interested in math, science, engineering, and looking to make friends with similar interests.

Kristen Amman

Before entering college, all that I knew was that I was pretty good at math and that I always did my calculus homework first, but very little beyond that. DHSP has exposed me to so many new ways of solving problems and viewing math as a whole, and it’s really allowed me to discover just how much I love it! I’ve never really been a fan of group projects or collaboration in school, but it just comes so naturally in DHSP that I can’t imagine NOT working in groups when trying to figure out those mind-boggling, but incredibly fascinating and rewarding problems on the extravagantly-named and colored papers. I just love it. Kristen Amman

DHSP Year: 2012–2013
Home Town: South Lyon, MI
Major: Pure Math, English
Plans: Math/Math Ed Research

Zita Jameson

Zita Jameson

DHSP Year: 2019–2020
Home Town: Marquette, MI
Major: Engineering
Best decision I made going into Freshman year!
Mark is the best and the rest of the class is supportive and awesome.
It really made campus feel smaller.

Erika Jones

DHSP has helped me think more analytically and has given me more of an appreciation for math and its presence in everything. Erika Jones

DHSP Year: 2018–2019
Home Town: Orland Hills, IL
Major: Aerospace Engineering
Plans: Astronautical aerospace engineer

Calvin Kerns

Calvin Kerns

DHSP Year: 2018–2019
Home Town: Fremont, MI
Major: User Experience (UX), Computer Science
Plans: Unsure
DHSP is a great experience to gain a deeper understanding of the content taught in Calc 1 and 2, use those concepts in intriguing, more realistic applications, meet and work with other students in a warm, friendly environment, get to know and receive the support of an excellent mentor, and ultimately shape the direction of one’s future studies for the better while at U of M.

Dustin Stabinski

I am so glad that DHSP exists. It has really turned my liking for calculus into almost a passion. I actually enjoy doing the webwork and learning about new material. Mark has given me a new confidence in mathematics that I thought could have never existed before. I speak for all of us when I say that he changed my academic future for the better. Dustin Stabinski

DHSP Year: 2017–2018
Home Town: Cooper City, FL
Major: Computer Science
Plans: Software Engineering, Something software based

Jordan Blaine

Jordan Blaine

DHSP Year: 2019–2020
Home Town: Metamora, MI
Major: Undecided; engineering-maybe
Plans: Unsure
So far, DHSP has helped me in so many ways. Not only has it helped me understand the content in math 115 and 116, but it has helped me realize how much I love math-maybe even enough to persue engineering. Mark and my fellow classmates have proven to be an amazing support system here at umich and make such a big place seem smaller! Mark is always willing to help with anything and I’m greatful for everything DHSP has offered me.

Anh Nguyen

DHSP has been one of my favorite parts of freshman year. I met my best friends in this program, and I talk to them on a daily basis outside of class. It is where I had a support group of caring friends when I got my first “B”… as well as my first “C”. In high school, I breezed through every single one of my classes and did not know how to handle failure. Not only did I learn to reach out to others for help, something I was very hesitant to do at first, I also learned to pick myself up. DHSP gave me confidence and resilience to face future challenges head-on. Anh Nguyen

DHSP Year: 2017–2018
Home Town: Grand Rapids, MI
Major: Business Administration

Michael Rawetzki

Michael Rawetzki

DHSP Year: 2014–2015
Home Town: Berkley, MI
Major: Environmental Engineering
Plans: U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
Overall, DHSP was one of the most rewarding experiences of my academic career.It taught me to be patient, and not give up on a problem, just try something-anything. I also found it very personally fulfilling to learn about the mathematical beauty inherent in the universe. Learning of the true, elegant mathematical models that describe my world is one of the most philosophically fruitful and personally satisfying experiences in college.

Dan Etz

DHSP was one of the best things that could have happened to me coming into college. The class set me up with a group of people with a wide range of concentrations and interests who were struggling with the same math classes. I would not have done well in Calc 1 and 2 without DHSP, and the applications we learned (Michael Phelps, cutting cake, zombies, cat lasers) were interesting and inspiring. Teaching a high school calculus course further demonstrated the value of DHSP. My calculus students enjoyed working together in teams on exercises that may be a little bit out of their range. We even keep the DHSP format intact, with groups of students working at the white board together and then presenting their findings and solutions. DHSP was one of the best parts of my UM experience – I learned calculus and a great way to go about teaching it (and I even had opportunities to practice teaching it!). I highly recommend this program. Dan Etz

DHSP Year: 2008–2009
Home Town: Saint Clair, MI
Major: Math Education
Plans: Public school teaching

Jenna Miller

Jenna Miller

DHSP Year: 2019–2020
Home Town: Marquette, MI
Major: Biology, Biochemistry
Plans: Research
DHSP is such an amazing program with great resources and an even greater community. Mark is such a supportive mentor, and I’m very thankful to have joined the program!

Famke Berendsen

I just really like being able to do calculus in a no-stress environment. I’m not worried about needing to understand everything, which makes it way more enjoyable. Famke Berendsen

DHSP Year: 2014–2015
Home Town: Muskegon, MI
Major: Biology
Plans: Conservationist

Jessica Y. Wang

Jessica Y. Wang

DHSP Year: 2018–2019
Home Town: New York City, NY
Major: MCDB (Biology)
Plans: Medical School, Grad School, Healthcare nonprofits
When I first joined DHSP, I took a risk. I’m not particularly great at math nor was I confident in thinking outside the box, especially mathmatically. But you’ll never get better if you don’t try right? Within DHSP, not only was I consistently challenged in a small classroom setting, but I also found a community of diverse and wonderful human beings who made the class full of fun and laughter. You also will not find a better instructor than Mark. Being in class and meeting these people was the highlight of my freshman year and I would not have had the same experience had I not joined DHSP.

Lauren Rademacher

I loved DHSP. The program was a wonderful way to make the university smaller, make friends and learn a whole lot about calculus. Mark was a constant figure for me throughout college. Throughout my time at the University of Michigan, he was always there to help not only with math, but also as a mentor. I will always be grateful for DHSP and Mark! It is such a wonderful program. Lauren Rademacher

DHSP Year: 2012–2013
Home Town: DeWitt, MI
Major: Business (finance)
Plans: Lauren works as an actuary for Towers-Watson.

Jack Williamson

Jack Williamson

DHSP Year: 2016–2017
Home Town: Pleasant Ridge, MI
Major: Mathematics of Finance and Risk Management
Plans: Finance, Banking, Corporate Accounting
DHSP is truly a life saver. I would walk away at times so confused from my regular 115 class and I always knew that when I came into to DHSP I would have someone that was a really, really good explainer and presenter. Mark was really able to demonstrate many mathematical ideas and theories that provoked my thoughts more about math.

Keon Ray

There’s literally too many good things to say about DHSP. As a freshman at Michigan, it was the best class of my freshman year! I would strongly recommend that you be interested in math and be willing to try hard problems if you’re going to enroll in the program. As long as you have those two things, DHSP would be perfect for you! You’ll not only meet and become close to awesome people, but you’ll understand, learn, and see the practical (real-world application) use of some very hard concepts in math. DHSP is definitely a class you don’t want to overlook! Keon Ray

DHSP Year: 2011–2012
Home Town: Detroit, MI
Major: American Culture
Plans: I currently have a full time job as a Desktop Support Specialist – Senior working on Information Technology for the university.

Lexi Nickopoulos

Lexi Nickopoulos

DHSP Year: 2019–2020
Home Town: Clawson, MI
Major: Biology, undecided
Plans: Undecided
DHSP is awesome and has helped me so much with my math classes. I can’t imagine taking 115 or 116 without the support of Mark and my peers.

Lo Tamburro

DHSP is an amazing program! Math isn’t my favorite thing in the world, but DHSP made it enjoyable by surrounding me with people who consider math their passion. By getting to talk with Mark and other DHSP students and learn why they like math so much I was able to appreciate math a lot more than I did before. Mark is an extremely kind and helpful person to have on your side while trying to get through calculus, so by joining DHSP you are given an amazing resource to help you do the best you can in calc. Lo Tamburro

DHSP Year: 2013–2014
Home Town: Dearborn Heights, MI
Major: Microbiology
Plans: Forensic pathology

Alex Giarmo

Alex Giarmo

DHSP Year: 2010–2011
Home Town: Kentwood, MI
Major: Math Education
Plans: Teaching/Academic Administration
DHSP is a groundbreaking program that offers students a fun and stimulating environment in which to learn Calculus. Contrary to conventional math classes that can often be frustrating, difficult, and stressful; DHSP gives students a chance to ask questions, practice difficult problems, and learn in a relaxed and friendly setting. Students who apply themselves in this course will gain a broad knowledge of the concepts of calculus, while learning hundreds of ways that calculus can be used in the real world. I highly recommend DHSP as a class for any student in 115/116 who is looking to broaden their mathematical horizons. DHSP changed my view of how math forever, and greatly influenced my decision to pursue a career in mathematics.

Christine Thomas

I absolutely loved this class! What a great way to do some really fun math without the stress of testing or grades. The problems were really unique and engaging – not your classic textbook story problems. DHSP helped me prepare for Calculus I & II classwork and exams and meet some great people with similar interests. I would definitely recommend taking this class to any first year student entering MATH115. Christine Thomas

DHSP Year: 2012–2013
Home Town: Shelby Twp, MI
Major: Elementary Education
Plans: Elementary school teacher

Katerina Rocafort

Katerina Rocafort

DHSP Year: 2016–2017
Home Town: San Juan, PR
Major: bimolecular science
Plans: medical school
I love this program. We make friends outside of our regular classes and we get to know them really well since it is a one year course. Also we get to work on some very interesting math problems that sometimes are just really confusing, but it’s fun to discover their secrets.

AJ Gobbo

DHSP was my favorite class I took my freshman year. It was a low-stress class, where math was allowed to be interesting and fun. It helped me prepare for the calculus that would be examined concurrently in the calculus courses. I made a lot of friends in DHSP that I am still very close to, and I am thankful I had the chance to join DHSP. AJ Gobbo

DHSP Year: 2010–2011
Home Town: Lansing, MI
Major: CMB – Premed
Plans: AJ graduated from medical school in 2019, and plans to specialize in Neuropsychiatry.

Blake Schewe

Blake Schewe

DHSP Year: 2013–2014
Home Town: Stevensville, MI
Major: Information, concentration is UI/UX Design
Plans: Inbound Marketing Consultant and Web Canopy Studio
DHSP is an awesome class. It helps me out tremendously with my other math courses I am enrolled in. Mark is always willing to help and the difficulty of the problems just makes the other classes seem easy.

Ralf Bejko

One of the best classes available at UM because the best professor teaches it and the best students take it. Mark will go out of his way to help you if you happen to struggle at any point in the year (weekly for me). He will do more than just show you the path to an answer – Mark teaches you the beauty of mathematics (what some may call sexy) and how fundamental concepts are related. Having been in both sections, I can say without doubt some of the friendliest students take this course and make you feel a part of a small community within a large university. Ralf Bejko

DHSP Year: 2016–2017
Home Town: Sterling Heights, MI
Major: Aerospace Engineering
Plans: US Navy Aviation Officer

Sierra Grant

Sierra Grant

DHSP Year: 2011–2012
Home Town: Almont, MI
Major: Astronomy/Astrophysics, Interdisciplinary Physics
Plans: Finish getting my PhD then applying for a postdoctoral position.
DHSP has helped me to take the general, cookie-cutter formulas that are taught to me in Math 115 and 116 and apply them to the world around me. This has improved my critical thinking, my creativity and problem solving, and as Mark says, “When you’re stuck in the trees, zoom out and look at the forest.”