About Me – Jing Ci Neo

About Me

Self Introduction

My name is Jing Ci Neo (given name: Jing Ci), and I am a PhD student. I study seismology at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor with Prof. Yihe Huang.

I am from Singapore! Singapore is a tiny island country by the equator in Southeast Asia. It is really hot and humid, but with lots of great food and friendly people.

When I’m not doing my research, I like to be outdoors playing soccer, biking, or trekking. I also like reading books, playing board games, solving puzzles, and talking to/hanging out with friends.

Education

(2019 – Present)

PhD Earth and Environmental Science (Seismology)

University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA

Curriculum Vitae

(2015-2019) 

BSc Environmental Earth Systems Science (Geoscience)

Nanyang Technological University, Singapore

The Road to Studying Earthquakes

Growing up on a tiny concrete island safe from all natural disasters, I never thought about the natural environment much. I always loved physics, but didn’t have any special inclination towards earth science. It all changed after a secondary school trip to Nepal. My friends and I trekked for 17 days to Kala Patthar, which at 5644m elevation, is higher than Everest Base Camp! It was a wonder-filled experience for me. I fell in love with mountains (you can probably tell from my site) and nature.

Hence, I chose to study earth science in college, and eventually Seismology because it integrates earth science and physics. The Earth Observatory of Singapore at my university had many scientists who study a wide variety of earthquake topics. I worked on projects with a few of them; they were my role models and an important part of my journey. 

Then in the final year of college, I was fortunate to receive the opportunity (and funding) to travel to the University of Michigan for my undergrad thesis. I worked on my aftershocks project and had an amazing time, thanks to Yihe and all the friendly geophysics people. This experience was the key reason why I decided to do a PhD in Seismology with Yihe.