Home

خوش آمدید – Welcome! My name is Cameron Cross (conveniently persianized as Kamran Chalipa), and I teach courses in Persian literature and Iranian studies at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor.

I grew up in Evergreen, Colorado and did my undergraduate studies in medieval history and Italian at the University of Colorado at Boulder. After graduating in 2004, I was able to pursue my long-standing dream of studying Persian and Arabic, which I did at the University of Chicago under Franklin Lewis, Heshmat Moayyad, Farouk Mustafa, Tahera Qutbuddin, and many other members of the faculty. I received my Ph.D. in Persian literature in 2015; that same year, I was honored to join the U-M faculty at the Department of Near Eastern Studies.

If I were to pigeon-hole myself, I would probably be known as the “romance guy.” Much of my current work is devoted to medieval (10th–13th centuries) Persian romance and epic (romantic epic? epic romance?). My current book project situates this literature within a larger comparative network of Middle Persian, Greek, Arabic, and European interlocutors. In addition to this work, I am getting increasingly interested in Iranian demons and dragons; maybe in a few years I’ll be called the “monster guy.”

Feel free to browse this site for more information about my teaching and research interests, upcoming projects, snippets of translations and computer stuff, and other resources. Other quick links:

Recent Posts

CfP: Great Lakes Adiban Workshop, Chicago 2018

The Great Lakes Adiban Society (GLAS) invites submissions for its second annual workshop, scheduled to take place at the University of Chicago, October 6–7, 2018. We particularly welcome papers that are works in progress and would benefit from extensive discussion and feedback.

The Society hopes to provide a regional forum for scholars of Islamicate adab, particularly of the medieval and early modern periods, to meet and share their work. We leave our parameters intentionally broad in order to invite as wide a collaboration as can be useful, but we are basically engaged with the literatures of the broad complex of premodern Muslim societies from the Danube to the Deccan. This naturally includes the major Islamicate languages of Arabic, Persian, Turkish, and Urdu, as well as others (Armenian, Georgian, Hebrew, Spanish, etc.) that participate in similar literary conventions. We welcome and encourage scholars working in any of these languages to consider participating!

Those who wish to participate in the workshop should fill out our online application by August 15, 2018. Please note that each accepted paper will be given 45 minutes for presentation and discussion; because of this, we have limited space on our schedule and may have to turn down some submissions if get too many. In such an event, preference will generally be given to scholars in the Great Lakes region, per the mission of this organization.

Graduate students note: we have some funding to help offset at least part of your travel costs! If you would like to apply for this additional aid, there is a space to do so on the application form.

If you have any questions, please feel free to write Cameron Cross at kchalipa [at] umich.edu. We look forward to hearing from you!

1. The Lives and Afterlives of Vis and Ramin Comments Off on The Lives and Afterlives of Vis and Ramin
  2. New Article – A Tree Atop the Mountain Comments Off on New Article – A Tree Atop the Mountain
  3. Latest article out – “The Many Colors of Love” Comments Off on Latest article out – “The Many Colors of Love”
  4. PDF management using Zotero Comments Off on PDF management using Zotero
  5. Reading the Ruins Comments Off on Reading the Ruins
  6. Ayyuqi – The Death of Golshah Comments Off on Ayyuqi – The Death of Golshah
  7. Rudaki #3 Comments Off on Rudaki #3
  8. Rudaki #2 Comments Off on Rudaki #2
  9. Rudaki #1 Comments Off on Rudaki #1