Home

خوش آمدید – Welcome! My name is Cameron Cross (conveniently persianized as Kamran Chalipa), and I teach courses in Persian literature and Iranian studies at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor.

I grew up in Evergreen, Colorado and did my undergraduate studies in medieval history and Italian at the University of Colorado at Boulder. After graduating in 2004, I was able to pursue my long-standing dream of studying Persian and Arabic, which I did at the University of Chicago under Franklin Lewis, Heshmat Moayyad, Farouk Mustafa, Tahera Qutbuddin, and many other members of the faculty. I received my Ph.D. in Persian literature in 2015; that same year, I was honored to join the U-M faculty at the Department of Near Eastern Studies.

If I were to pigeon-hole myself, I would probably be known as the “romance guy.” Much of my current work is devoted to medieval (10th–13th centuries) Persian romance and epic (romantic epic? epic romance?). My current book project situates this literature within a larger comparative network of Middle Persian, Greek, Arabic, and European interlocutors. In addition to this work, I am getting increasingly interested in Iranian demons and dragons; maybe in a few years I’ll be called the “monster guy.”

Feel free to browse this site for more information about my teaching and research interests, upcoming projects, snippets of translations and computer stuff, and other resources. Other quick links:

Recent Posts

A Tree Atop the Mountain

I’m pleased to announce the publication of a new article, part of a special issue in the journal Iran Namag on the topic of Iranian masculinities. It was a great project to be involved with and I’m honored to have been a part of it. To access the article, you can visit its website or download the PDF here.

Reference:
Cross, Cameron. “A Tree Atop the Mountain: Mobad Manikan and the Elusive Promises of Masculinity.” Iran Namag 3, no. 1 (2018): xxvi–lxiii.

1. Latest article out – “The Many Colors of Love” Comments Off on Latest article out – “The Many Colors of Love”
  2. PDF management using Zotero Comments Off on PDF management using Zotero
  3. Reading the Ruins Comments Off on Reading the Ruins
  4. Ayyuqi – The Death of Golshah Comments Off on Ayyuqi – The Death of Golshah
  5. Rudaki #3 Comments Off on Rudaki #3
  6. Rudaki #2 Comments Off on Rudaki #2
  7. Rudaki #1 Comments Off on Rudaki #1
  8. New music page Comments Off on New music page
  9. The Man Inside the Mountain Comments Off on The Man Inside the Mountain