Home

Future Faculty Workshops

This program has been suspended

Develop Your Career

The NextProf Science Workshop is designed to encourage talented scientists and mathematicians with a demonstrated commitment to diversity to consider academia — an exciting and rewarding career. We will help you develop strategies to strengthen your ability to pursue an academic career.

Learn more at About NextProf.

Listen. Learn. Network.

At NextProf Science, you will learn:

• how the faculty search process works
  • how to build successful research programs
  • how to form a teaching and mentoring philosophy
  • why a network is important

Expand your network at NextProf Science.  Join colleagues, faculty, and academic leaders from across the country. Spend time with your host department, meeting faculty who share your interests. Learn how a diverse group of faculty embrace the challenges of research and teaching. Share conversations with successful faculty members about their goals and views of academia.

Apply
Find the link and helpful hints at “How to Apply

• Fill out the online application
  • ask your reference to send the letters via the NextProf Science Recommender email address: um-nextprofscience-rec@umich.edu

What previous participants say about the program

“I would describe NextProf as the needed crash-course in how to apply to faculty positions, demystifying the process and kickstarting my material preparation for the next faculty job cycle. But with the side effect of bringing together an extraordinary and diverse group of people to share experiences and build a mini-community of others who have like-minded goals and a breadth of experiences that makes me excited for the future of academia.”

“I think my favorite part was just being in a room with this diverse group of talented scientists — it is a rare experience for me!””I’ve had an academic career as my goal for awhile, but now for the first time I feel like I know what that really means and I have an idea of how to make it happen.””…the most useful thing for me is this overall galvanizing sense of motivation and support from the faculty and the other participants. I now know what concrete steps I need to take to get a faculty position.”

“For me, what was most useful about the NextProf Science workshop was the in depth and frank discussions about all the aspects of the job prospect in academia and what are required to obtain tenure.”“I was blown away by this workshop. Lots of useful information I never would have gotten as a postdoc…”“…an amazing opportunity to learn about life in academia, an awesome environment to meet colleagues, and an opportunity to gain self-confidence and value your work. ““The NextProf Science workshop is an outstanding resource that gives you a “behind the scene” look into planning and preparing for a faculty appointment.”

2020 | See the Greetings from the Dean
College of Literature, Science, and the Arts