A Quantitative Look at Christmas

Written by Connor Zahler:

Assistant Editor’s Note: QMSS acknowledges that Christmas is only one holiday out of many and that many readers do not celebrate. This article is not meant to imply that readers should celebrate Christmas; it is meant to be a fun look at the way quantitative methods inform the holiday.

Christmas. Some call it the most wonderful time of the year, others spend the entire run-up worrying and run-down sleeping. No matter how you celebrate it, if at all, you probably aren’t immediately looking for the quantitative implications of the holiday. If you are, though, I’m right there with you, sipping on eggnog while carefully considering the role of quant. To help you ring in the holiday season, here are a few QMSS-Christmas crossovers.

Tracking Santa with Analytics

NORAD’s Santa Tracker is a beloved annual holiday tradition wherein U.S. government resources are dedicated to following the elusive Mr. Claus in his annual jaunt around the known world. My first thought was how it might relate to GIS (Geographic Information Systems), but I found something a little more unexpected.

A big part of NORAD’s holiday is not only providing the website with visuals but also responding to emails and phone calls from parties interested in knowing where Santa is at any given time. This is a massive effort that brings in thousands if not tens of thousands of volunteers. In order to figure out where and when the need for volunteers will be greatest, NORAD turns to the greatest ally of any modern organization: analytics. Google Analytics has, for over a decade, played a major role in helping NORAD complete tasks ranging from logistical planning to the highest-impact language to expand operations in. Just as they help businesses tailor their ads, they help enterprising government workers nail down the probable location of Santa. Truly, the reach of analytics is infinite!

Algorithms and Gifts

As my dear readers know, the power of algorithms is somewhat of a hobby horse for me. Our daily experiences are deeply shaped by these constructs of code that are poorly understood, sometimes even by their creators. One of their few rivals in incomprehensibility has to be the art of picking a good gift for your loved ones. You might spend 90% of your time with someone, but all that knowledge seems to vanish as soon as you start the hunt for a suitable gift. Might some new creation seek to merge these titans of confusion?

In fact, many creations do so! You can’t throw an online rock without hitting a gift engine that promises to find you gifts that are both good and unique. These websites are ubiquitous, especially in the holiday season. Of course, finding actual details on these algorithms is nigh-impossible. You can garner some insights from the questionnaires they ask you, but I suspect that much of the information is either proprietary or not there at all. It’s easy to throw together a questionnaire to cover up the fact that your website is just providing links to sponsored products. I may just be bitter, though: my parents didn’t quite like that crocheted coaster I got them.

CHRISTMA(GI)S

I took ENVIRON 411, Principles of GIS, this past semester. Among the many things I learned was that the GIS community are funny and committed people. If there’s some random topic you can think of, someone somewhere has made a map about it. Christmas is no different, and there are some truly interesting projects out there.

Here’s an ArcGIS template that makes everything look all Christmas-y (this is the scientific term). If you’re curious about how Christmas looks in different parts of the world, here’s an interactive map showing that very thing. For our Muskegon readers—who I hope are there—there’s a map showing where you can find the very best light shows. Finally, if you’ve ever wondered if people are more interested in Santa or Satan, someone took the time to figure that out. Neat! The possibilities provided by GIS are endless, and so are the tie-ins with the holidays.

Data Rei[g]ns in QMSS

As a QMSS student or fan, you see the world a little bit differently than most people. What may seem like an opportunity for time with the family or the friendly exchange of gifts is not only that but also another realm where data rei[g]ns. Here at QMSS, we hope you have a happy holiday season and keep an eye on the data!