Home

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit. -— Aristotle

Welcome!

Diversity Equity and Inclusion

Currently, I am serving as a faculty Diversity Ally of the Statistics Department. Please write to me with any questions, suggestions, concerns, or simply if you want to find out more about our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI). For more information and resources on DEI, please visit https://odei.umich.edu/.

If you wonder why we need to think about diversity, equity, and inclusion, start by reading the following. Please do.

“I am so tired” (of this shit!)  — a powerful message by Vice Provost Robert M. Sellers prompted by the brutal murder of George Floyd on May 25th, 2020 and the losses of other Human Beings to social cowardice, bigotry and racism.

About me

I am Bulgarian, born in Moscow, Russia, raised in the village of Varben (Върбен), and the cities Plovdiv (Пловдив) and Sofia (София), Bulgaria (България).  I like the great outdoors, mathematics, computer programming, data, ljutenica, and karate. You can find out more about my research, publications, teaching, and download some free Matlab, Octave, and R code by clicking on the above tabs.

Research Interests

Time series, long-range dependence, heavy tails and extremes. Spatial and spatio-temporal models. Applications to Internet traffic modeling, computer science, and finance.

Education

(1999-2005) Ph.D. in Mathematics and Statistics from Boston University with Professor Murad S. Taqqu.

(1994-1998) Master’s in Mathematics Sofia University with Professor Dimitar L. Vandev.

(1989-1994) National School for Natural and Mathematical Sciences, “Acad. L. Chakalov”, Sofia, Bulgaria: NPMG.

Vita

CV in PDF.