- Religion and the Specter of the West: Sikhism, India, Postcoloniality and the Politics of Translation, New York: Columbia University Press, 2009. (516 pages)
- Sikhism: A Guide For the Perplexed, London: Bloomsbury Publishing, 2013,
- Teachings of the Sikh Gurus: Selection from the Scriptures, London: Routledge, 2005. (with Christopher Shackle)
- Secularism and Religion-Making, New York: Oxford University Press, 2011.
- Sikh Religion, Culture and Ethnicity, London: Routledge, 2001, (with Gurharpal Singh and Christopher Shackle)
- Sikhism (Vol. 8 of Encyclopedia of Indian Religions), Leiden: Springer Publishing, 2017, (pp. 477)
EDITED VOLUMES / JOURNAL SPECIAL ISSUES
- DISLOCATIONS: Language, Identity and Autobiography in Jacques Derrida (Social Identities)
- Dialogue and Difference 1, Social Identities
- Dialogue and Difference, 2, Social Identities
- Sikh Texts, Performances etc, Sikh Formations
- After 1984? ….. Sikh Formations
- Sikhs and Public Space, Sikh Formations
BOOKS IN PROGRESS
- Sikh Philosophy of Religion
- Violence and non-Violence in Sikhism
- Mourning Sovereignties
- The Sikh World (edited volume with Pashaura Singh)
SELECT RECENT ARTICLES
- “Decolonizing Secularism’s Conceptual Matrix”, Comparative Studies in South Asia and the Middle East, 2018,
- “Sikh Afterlife Beliefs and Funerary Practices” in The Routledge Companion to Death and Dying, ed. Christopher Moreman, New York: Routledge, 2018.
- “Postcolonialism”, in The Oxford Handbook of Religion, eds. Steven Engler and Michael Staussberg, New York: Oxford University Press, 2016.
- “Translation” in Religion, Theory, Critique: Classic and Contemporary Approaches, ed., Richard King, New York: Columbia University Press, 2017.
- “Sikhs, Sovereignty and Modern Government”, in Religion as a Category of Government and Sovereignty, eds. Timothy Fitzgerald, Naomi Goldenberg and Trevor Stack, Leiden: Brill Academic Publishing, 2015
- “Lived Abstractions: Sikh Philosophy as a Practice of Everyday Life”, Sikh Formations: Religion, Culture, Theory, Vol. 11, No’s 1-2, 2015.
- “Sikh Philosophy” in The Oxford Handbook of Sikhism, eds. Pashaura Singh and Louis Fenech, New York: Oxford University Press, 2013.