The Biteen Lab is committed to defining what it is to be a scientist in the 21st century. The lab is a safe space in which members with a diversity of backgrounds and goals develop as scientists and as community members. We are committed to establishing a welcoming place for all and a culture in which people from marginalized groups can thrive. Toward this core belief, our lab is committed to the following values:
- We have a zero tolerance policy against oppression of any kind, which includes but is not limited to sexism, racism, homophobia, transphobia, ableism, and xenophobia. Everyone is welcome and celebrated. It is our responsibility to work continuously to create a safe, inclusive, and productive environment in which people of all races, ethnicities, genders, sexual orientations, abilities, religions, and countries of origin can succeed. We will act unceasingly on these beliefs.
- We are all continuously growing as scientists. In this learning space, questions are appreciated and discussion is essential. Everyone’s input is valued and all are encouraged to give and receive feedback over the course of the learning process.
- Our research transcends conventional disciplinary boundaries and therefore thrives when the members have a range of skills, knowledge, and talents. Everyone who is curious, excited to learn, and motivated to be challenged is welcome here, regardless of previous experience or personal identity.
- Teamwork is essential, but we acknowledge that teamwork can be hard. Recognize and admit your biases, then work to overcome them. Don’t be afraid to do something because you won’t be perfect. Rather, be honest about what you don’t know and ask questions when you are stuck. Offer help rather than waiting for someone to ask for it.
- Our trainees come from different backgrounds and have different goals. We deeply value these experiences and are working together to achieve individual and shared objectives.
For more specific information about our training environment, please refer to the Biteen Lab Expectations Document.