Discovery Channel Canada’ Daily Planet program traveled to Puerto Rico to interview Giselle Caraballo Cruz and the staff at Cayo Santiago, and also interviewed Alex about research at the site. Check out the video here (starting at 5:50).
The Cognitive Evolution Group is working with an international group of scientists from universities including University of Puerto Rico, Yale, University of Pennsylvania, University of Exeter, NYU, and University of Washington to save the Cayo Santiago Field Station’s 1500 rhesus monkeys, and the local community of Punta Santiago. Both suffered heavy damage when Hurricane Maria hit Puerto Rico.
Find out how to donate here.
Read coverage about our efforts to aid Cayo Santiago and Punta Santiago:
- The Conversation: Scientists Join Forces to Save Puero Rico’s ‘Monkey Island’
- Telegraph: Time Running out for “Monkey Island” devastated by Hurricane Maria
- AP News: Hurricane Mauled PR’s Renowned ‘Monkey Island’ Research Center
- The Atlantic: Rescuing Puerto Rico’s Monkey Island
- Time: The San Juan Mayor Asked for More Aid For Puerto Rico. Here’s How You Can Help
- CNN: Puerto Rico Town’s Desperate Pleas for Help is Finally Answered
- Yahoo News: Monkeys on Puerto Rico’s ‘Monkey Island’ Narrowly Escaped Maria
- Buzzfeed: Scientists Are Trying to Rescue 1500 Monkeys in Puerto Rico
- Earther: Puerto Rico’s Irreplaceable Monkey Island Needs Human Help Now
- International Business Times: Hurricane Maria Aftermath – The Monkey Science Island in Puerto Rico
- Daily Mail: Apocalypse Beach–The Devastation of A Puerto Rican Town
- Express UK: Hurricane Maria Rescue Mission Launched to Save 1,00 Monkeys Hit By Storm
- Yale News: Researchers Mobilize to Save Storm-Ravaged Monkey Island
- NYU News: Researchers Work to Save “Monkey Island” Damaged by Hurricane Maria
- UW News: Scientists Aid Puerto Rican Research Station
- Penn News: Thrashed by Hurricane Maria, Monkey Island Tries to Rebuild
- Leakey Foundation: From the Field – Cayo Santiago, Puerto Rico
- University of Michigan Record: UM Professor Part of Effort to Save Monkeys Displaced by Hurricane
- UM Español: Científicos Se Unen Para Salvar la “Isla de los Monos” en Puerto Rico
- Global MIchigan: Scientists Seek to Save Puerto Rico’s Monkey Island
Alex was interviewed for this piece on chimpanzee conservation, welfare, and biomedical research. Read it here.
A recent article in the Guardian about the negative effects of chimpanzees in entertainment mentions our work on how viewing chimpanzees in commercials causes people to incorrect assumptions about their endangered status and be less willing to donate to conservation charities. Read the article here.
Our work on capuchin punishment was covered by the Yale Daily News; read the post here.
Our recent paper on punishment in capuchins is covered by Yale News. Read about it here.