Please see my Google Scholar or ResearchGate profiles for PDFs
Preprints & Manuscripts Submitted
Santicchia F, Wauters LA, Dantzer B, Westrick SE, Ferrari N, Romeo C, Palme R, Preatoni DG, Martinoli A. Relationships between personality traits and the physiological stress response in a wild mammal. Revision submitted June 2019
Rubi TL, Knowles LL, Dantzer B. Museum epigenomics: characterizing cytosine methylation in historic museum specimens. Submitted April 2019 [preprint]
Guindre-Parker S, McAdam AG, van Kesteren F, Palme R, Boonstra R, Boutin S, Lane JE, Dantzer B. Individual variation in phenotypic plasticity of the stress axis. Submitted April 2019 [preprint]
Hendrix J, Fisher D, Martinis AR, Boutin S, Dantzer B, Lane JE, McAdam AG. Territory acquisition mediates the influence of predators and climate on juvenile red squirrel survival. Submitted April 2019 [preprint]
Westrick SE, Taylor RW, Boutin S, Lane JE, McAdam AG, Dantzer B. Fitness benefits of a motivated mom. Submitted March 2019. [preprint]
Siracusa ER, Boutin S, Dantzer B, Lane JE, Coltman DW, McAdam AG. Familiar neighbors, but not relatives, enhance fitness in a territorial mammal. Submitted March 2019 [preprint]
Westrick SE, van Kesteren F, Palme R, Boonstra R, Lane JE, Boutin S, McAdam AG, Dantzer B. Stress activity is not predictive of coping style in North American red squirrels. Submitted February 2019 [preprint]
Haines JL, McAdam AG, Coltman DW, Gorrell JC, Hämäläinen A, Lane JE, Dantzer B, Humphries MM, Boutin S. Age at first reproduction influences the onset but not rate of reproductive senescence in male red squirrels. Submitted June 2018
Hämäläinen A, McAdam AG, Lane JE, Dantzer B, Humphries MM, Boutin S. Substantial individual variation in the onset and rate of reproductive senescence in a wild mammal. In revision February 2018
51) van Kesteren F, Delehanty B, Westrick SE, Palme R, Boonstra R, Lane JE, Boutin S, McAdam AG, Dantzer B. Experimental increases in stress hormones alter function of the neuroendocrine stress axis in wild red squirrels without negatively impacting survival and reproduction. Physiological & Biochemical Zoology Accepted [preprint]
50) Sehrsweeney M, Wilson DR, Bain M, Boutin S, Lane JE, McAdam AG, Dantzer B. 2019. Is physiological stress state reflected in acoustic structure of vocalizations? An experimental test in wild North American red squirrels. Behavioral Ecology In press
49) Fisher DN, Wilson AJ, Boutin S, Dantzer B, Lane JE, Coltman DW, Gorrell JC, McAdam AG. 2019. Indirect effects of territorial neighbours on the timing of spring breeding may counteract changes in selection in North American red squirrels. Journal of Evolutionary Biology Accepted [preprint]
47) Dantzer B, Dubuc C, Braga Goncalves I, Cram DL, Bennett NC, Ganswindt A, Duncan C, Gaynor D, Clutton-Brock TH. 2019. Maternal stress increases cooperative behaviour of offspring in wild meerkats. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B 374, 20180117.
See the press release
46) Siracusa E, Wilson DR, Studd EK, Boutin S, Humphries MM, Dantzer B, Lane JE, McAdam AG. 2019. Red squirrels mitigate costs of territory defence through social plasticity. Animal Behaviour 151, 29-42.
45) Fisher D, Haines J, Boutin S, Dantzer B, Lane JE, Coltman DW, McAdam AG. 2019. Indirect effects on fitness between individuals that have never met via an extended phenotype. Ecology Letters 22, 697-706.
See the press release, Vice, CBC, National Post
44) Sabol AE, Solomon NG, Dantzer B. 2018. How to study socially monogamous behavior in secretive animals? Using social network analyses and automated tracking systems to study the social behavior of prairie voles. Frontiers in Ecology and Evolution 6, 178.
43) Robertson JG, Boutin S, Humphries MM, Dantzer B, Lane JE, McAdam AG. 2018. Individual variation in the dear enemy phenomenon via territorial vocalizations in red squirrels. Behaviour 155, 1073-1096.
42) Wishart A, Williams C, McAdam AG, Boutin S, Dantzer B, Humphries MM, Coltman DW, Lane JE. 2018. Is biasing offspring sex ratio adaptive? A test of Fisher’s principle across multiple generations of a wild mammal in a fluctuating environment. Proceedings of the Royal Society B 285, 20181251.
41) Cram DL, Monaghan P, Gillespie R, Dantzer B, Duncan C, Spence-Jones H, Clutton-Brock T. 2018. Rank-related contrasts in longevity arise from extra-group excursions not delayed senescence in a cooperative mammal. Current Biology 28, 2934-2939.
40) Santicchia F, Dantzer B, van Kesteren F, Palme R, Martinoli A, Ferrari N, Wauters L. 2018. Stress in biological invasions: alien grey squirrels increase physiological stress in native Eurasian red squirrels. Journal of Animal Ecology 87, 1342-1352.
39) Raulo, A, Dantzer, B. 2018. The changing role of the effects of glucocorticoid stress hormones on pro-social behaviour during the evolution of vertebrate social behaviour. Ecology & Evolution 8, 7697-7716.
38) Sheriff MJ, Dantzer B, Love OP, Orrock JL. 2018. Error management theory and the evolution of maternal stress effects. Ecology & Evolution 8, 6473-6482.
37) Haines JL, Coltman DW, Dantzer B, Gorrell JC, Humphries MM, Lane JE, McAdam AG, Boutin S. 2018. Sexually-selected infanticide by male red squirrels in advance of a mast year. Ecology 99, 1242-1244.
36) Siracusa E, Morandini M, Boutin S, Humphries MM, Dantzer B, Lane JE, McAdam AG. 2017. Red squirrel territorial vocalizations deter intrusions by conspecific rivals. Behaviour 154, 1259-1273.
35) Ren T, Boutin S, Humphries MM, Dantzer B, Gorrell JC, Coltman DW, McAdam AG, Wu M. 2017. Seasonal, spatial and maternal effects on gut microbiome in wild red squirrels. Microbiome 5, 163.
34) Cooper EB, Taylor RW, Kelley AD, Martinig AR, Boutin S, Humphries MM, Dantzer B, Lane JE, McAdam AG. 2017. Personality is correlated with natal dispersal in North American red squirrels (Tamiasciurus hudsonicus). Behaviour 154, 939-961.
33) Siracusa E, Boutin S, Humphries MM, Gorrell JC, Coltman DW, Dantzer B, Lane JE, McAdam AG. 2017. Familiarity with neighbours affects intrusion risk in territorial red squirrels (Tamiasciurus hudsonicus). Animal Behaviour 133, 11-20
32) Dantzer B, Braga Goncalves I, Spence-Jones HC, Bennett NC, Heistermann M, Ganswindt A, Gaynor D, Dubuc C, Gaynor D, Manser MB, Clutton-Brock T. 2017. The influence of stress hormones and aggression on cooperative behavior in wild meerkats. Proceedings of the Royal Society Series B 284, 20171248.
See the press release
31) Hämäläinen A, McAdam AG, Dantzer B, Lane JE, Haines JA, Humphries MM, Boutin S. 2017. Fitness consequences of peak reproductive effort in a resource pulse system. Scientific Reports 7, 9335.
30) Fisher DN, Boutin S, Dantzer B, Humphries MM, Lane JE, McAdam AG. 2017. Multilevel and sex-specific selection on competitive traits in North American red squirrels. Evolution 71, 1841-1854.
29) Sheriff MJ, Bell A, Boonstra R, Dantzer B, Lavergne S, McGhee KE, MacLeod KJ, Winandy L, Zimmer C, Love OP. Integrating ecological and evolutionary context in the study of maternal stress. Integrative and Comparative Biology 57, 437-449.
28) Dantzer B, Rubenstein DR. 2017. Introduction to symposium: the developmental and proximate mechanisms causing individual variation in cooperative behavior. Integrative and Comparative Biology 57, 560-565.
27) Dantzer B, Swanson EM. 2017. Does hormonal pleiotropy constrain the independent evolution of performance and life history traits? Integrative and Comparative Biology 57, 372-384.
26) Dantzer B, Bennett NC, Clutton-Brock T. 2017. Social conflict and costs of cooperation in meerkats are reflected in measures of stress hormones. Behavioral Ecology 28, 1131-1141.
25) Dantzer B, Garratt M. 2017. Sex differences in telomeres and lifespan in Soay sheep: From the beginning to the end. Molecular Ecology 26, 3090-3092 (invited commentary).
24) Dubuc C, English S, Thavarajah N, Dantzer B, Sharp S, Spence-Jones H, Gaynor D, Clutton-Brock T. 2017. Food availability increases eviction in a cooperative mammal. Biology Letters 20160961.
23) Dantzer B, Santicchia F, van Kesteren F, Palme R, Martinoli A, Wauters LA. 2016. Measurement of fecal glucocorticoid metabolite levels in Eurasian red squirrels (Sciurus vulgaris): effects of temporary capture, sex, reproductive condition, and season. Journal of Mammalogy 97, 1385-1398.
22) Dantzer, B, Westrick, SE, van Kesteren, F. 2016. Relationships between endocrine traits and life histories in wild animals: insights, problems, and potential pitfalls. Integrative & Comparative Biology 56, 185-197.
21) Goncalves, IB, Heistermann, M, Santema, P, Dantzer, B, Mausbach, J, Ganswindt, A, Manser, MB. 2016. Validation of a fecal glucocorticoid assay to assess adrenocortical activity in meerkats using physiological and biological stimuli. PLoS One 11, e0153161.
20) Benson-Amram, S, Dantzer, B, Stricker, G, Swanson, EM, Holekamp, KE. 2016. Brain size predicts problem-solving ability in mammalian carnivores. PNAS 113, 2532-2537.
See the video, press release, The New York Times, National Science Foundation, Scientific American, BrainDecoder, Popular Science, New Scientist, ARS Technica.
19) Speakman, JR, Blount, JD, Bronikowski, AM, Buffenstein, R, Isaksson, C, Kirkwood, TBL, Monaghan, P, Ozanne, SE, Beulieu, M, Briga, M, Carr, SK, Christensen, LL, Cocheme, HM, Cram, DL, Dantzer, B, Harper, JM, Jurk, D, King, A, Noguera, JC, Salin, K, Sild, E, Simons, MJP, Smith, S, Stier, A, Tobler, M, Vitikainen, E, Peaker, M, Selman, C. 2015. Oxidative stress and life histories: a consensus view on several unresolved issues. Ecology & Evolution 5, 5745-5757.
18) Dantzer, B, Fletcher, QE. 2015. Telomeres shorten more slowly in slow-aging wild animals than in fast-aging ones. Experimental Gerontology 71, 38-47. *Shared first authorship
17) Fletcher, QE*, Dantzer, B*, Boonstra, R. 2015. The impact of reproduction on the hippocampal-hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal stress axis of free-living male northern red backed voles (Myodes rutilus). General and Comparative Endocrinology 224, 136-147. *Shared first authorship
16) Holekamp, KE, Dantzer B, Stricker G, Yoshida KCS, Benson-Amram, S. 2015. Brains, brawn and sociality: a hyaena’s tail. Animal Behaviour 103, 237-248.
15) Dantzer, B. 2015. Mothers shape ecological communities. Science 347, 822-823 (invited perspective).
14) Dantzer, B, Fletcher, QE, Boonstra, R, Sheriff, MJ. 2014. Stress physiology – a transparent or opaque window into the status, management, and conservation of a species? Conservation Physiology 2, 1-18
13) Swanson, EM, Dantzer, B*. 2014. Insulin-like growth factor-1 is associated with life history variation across Mammalia. Proceedings of the Royal Society Series B 281, 20132458. *Shared first authorship
12) Boonstra, R*, Dantzer, B*, Delehanty, B*, Fletcher, QE*, Sheriff, MJ*. 2014. Equipped for life in the boreal forest: the role of the stress axis in mammals. Arctic 67, 82-97. *All authors contributed equally
11) Dantzer, B, Newman, AEM, Boonstra, R, Palme, R, Boutin, S, Humphries, MM, McAdam, AG. 2013. Density triggers maternal hormones that increase adaptive offspring growth in a wild mammal. Science 340, 1215-1217
Highlighted by Ed Yong blog, i09.com, Nature, CBC coverage, Quirks and Quarks Radio, newspapers
10) Creel, SR*, Dantzer, B*, Goymann, W*, Rubenstein, D*. 2013. The ecology of stress: effects of the social environment. Functional Ecology (invited submission) 27, 66-80. *All authors contributed equally
9) Dantzer, B, Boutin, S, Humphries, MM, McAdam, AG. 2012. Behavioral responses of territorial red squirrels to natural and experimental variation in population density. Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology 66:865-878
8) Taylor, RW, Boon, AK, Dantzer, B, Reale, D, Humphries, MM, Boutin, S, Gorrell, JC, Coltman, DW, Boutin, S, Humphries, MM, McAdam, AG. 2012. Low heritabilities, but genetic and maternal correlations between red squirrel behaviours. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 25:614-624.
7) Dantzer, B*, Swanson, EM.* 2012. Mediation of vertebrate life-histories via insulin-like growth factor-1. Biological Reviews 87:414-429. *Shared first authorship
6) Dantzer, B, McAdam, AG, Palme, R, Boutin, S, Boonstra, R. 2011. How does diet affect fecal steroid hormone metabolite concentrations? An experimental test in red squirrels. General and Comparative Endocrinology 174:124-131.
5) Sheriff, MJ, Dantzer, B, Delehanty, B, Palme, R, Boonstra, R. 2011. Measuring stress in wildlife: techniques for measuring glucocorticoids. Oecologia 166:869-897.
4) Dantzer, B, McAdam, AG, Palme, R, Boutin, S, Humphries, MM, Boonstra, R. 2011. Maternal androgens and behaviour in free-ranging North American red squirrels. Animal Behaviour 81:469-479.
3) Dantzer, B, McAdam, AG, Palme, R, Fletcher, QE, Boutin, S, Humphries, MM, Boonstra, R. 2010. Fecal cortisol metabolites in free-ranging North American red squirrels: assay validation and the effects of reproductive condition. General and Comparative Endocrinology 167: 279-286.
2) Dantzer, BJ & Jaeger, RG. 2007. Detection of the sexual identity of conspecifics through volatile chemical signals in a territorial salamander. Ethology 113:214-222.
1) Dantzer, BJ & Jaeger, RG. 2007. Male red-backed salamanders can determine the reproductive status of females through volatile chemical signals. Herpetologica 63:176-183.