Please see my Google Scholar or ResearchGate profiles for PDFs
Manuscripts Submitted or Under Revision
Haines JL, McAdam AG, Coltman DW, Gorrell JC, Hämäläinen A, Lane JE, Dantzer B, Humphries MM, Boutin S. Age at first reproduction influences the onset but not rate of reproductive senescence in male red squirrels. Submitted September 2017.
Haines JL, Coltman DW, Dantzer B, Gorrell JC, Humphries MM, Lane JE, McAdam AG, Boutin S. Sexually-selected infanticide by male red squirrels in advance of a mast year. Submitted September 2017.
Cram DL, Monaghan P, Gillespie R, Dantzer B, Duncan C, Spence-Jones H, Clutton-Brock T. Dominant meerkats age faster than subordinates, despite living longer. Submitted August 2017.
Santicchia F, Dantzer B, van Kesteren F, Palme R, Martinoli A, Ferrari N, Wauters L. Stress in biological invasions: alien grey squirrels increase physiological stress in native Eurasian red squirrels. Submitted August 2017.
Ren T, Boutin S, Humphries MM, Dantzer B, Gorrell JC, Coleman DW, McAdam AG, Wu M. Seasonal, spatial and maternal effects on gut microbiome in wild red squirrels. Submitted June 2017.
Sheriff MJ, Love OP, Dantzer B, Orrock JL. Error management theory and the evolution of maternal stress effects. Submitted June 2017
Raulo, A, Dantzer, B. The changing role of the effects of glucocorticoid stress hormones on pro-social behaviour during the evolution of vertebrate social behaviour. Submitted May 2017
Dubuc C, Scheun J, Huchard E, Dantzer B, Gaynor D, Drea C, Heistermann M, Ganswindt A, Clutton-Brock TH. Steroid hormones and competitive growth in wild meerkats. Submitted May 2017
35) Siracusa E, Morandini M, Boutin S, Humphries MM, Dantzer B, Lane JE, McAdam AG. Red squirrel territorial vocalizations deter intrusions by conspecific rivals. Behaviour Accepted
34) Siracusa E, Boutin S, Humphries MM, Gorrell JC, Coltman DW, Dantzer B, Lane JE, McAdam AG. Familiarity with neighbours affects intrusion risk in territorial red squirrels (Tamiasciurus hudsonicus). Animal Behaviour Accepted
33) Cooper EB, Taylor RW, Kelley AD, Martinig AR, Boutin S, Humphries MM, Dantzer B, Lane JE, McAdam AG. Personality is correlated with natal dispersal in North American red squirrels (Tamiasciurus hudsonicus). Behaviour Accepted
32) Dantzer B, Braga Goncalves I, Spence-Jones HC, Bennett NC, Heistermann M, Ganswindt A, Gaynor D, Dubuc C, Gaynor D, Manser MB, Clutton-Brock T. 2017. The influence of stress hormones and aggression on cooperative behavior in wild meerkats. Proceedings of the Royal Society Series B 284, 20171248.
31) Hämäläinen A, McAdam AG, Dantzer B, Lane JE, Haines JA, Humphries MM, Boutin S. 2017. Fitness consequences of peak reproductive effort in a resource pulse system. Scientific Reports 7, 9335.
30) Fisher DN, Boutin S, Dantzer B, Humphries MM, Lane JE, McAdam AG. 2017. Multilevel and sex-specific selection on competitive traits in North American red squirrels. Evolution 71, 1841-1854.
29) Sheriff MJ, Bell A, Boonstra R, Dantzer B, Lavergne S, McGhee KE, MacLeod KJ, Winandy L, Zimmer C, Love OP. Integrating ecological and evolutionary context in the study of maternal stress. Integrative and Comparative Biology In press
28) Dantzer B, Rubenstein DR. 2017. Introduction to symposium: the developmental and proximate mechanisms causing individual variation in cooperative behavior. Integrative and Comparative Biology In press
27) Dantzer B, Swanson EM. 2017. Does hormonal pleiotropy constrain the independent evolution of performance and life history traits? Integrative and Comparative Biology 57, 372-384.
26) Dantzer B, Bennett NC, Clutton-Brock T. 2017. Social conflict and costs of cooperation in meerkats are reflected in measures of stress hormones. Behavioral Ecology 28, 1131-1141.
25) Dantzer B, Garratt M. 2017. Sex differences in telomeres and lifespan in Soay sheep: From the beginning to the end. Molecular Ecology 26, 3090-3092 (invited commentary).
24) Dubuc C, English S, Thavarajah N, Dantzer B, Sharp S, Spence-Jones H, Gaynor D, Clutton-Brock T. 2017. Food availability increases eviction in a cooperative mammal. Biology Letters 20160961.
23) Dantzer B, Santicchia F, van Kesteren F, Palme R, Martinoli A, Wauters LA. 2016. Measurement of fecal glucocorticoid metabolite levels in Eurasian red squirrels (Sciurus vulgaris): effects of temporary capture, sex, reproductive condition, and season. Journal of Mammalogy 97, 1385-1398.
22) Dantzer, B, Westrick, SE, van Kesteren, F. 2016. Relationships between endocrine traits and life histories in wild animals: insights, problems, and potential pitfalls. Integrative & Comparative Biology 56, 185-197.
21) Goncalves, IB, Heistermann, M, Santema, P, Dantzer, B, Mausbach, J, Ganswindt, A, Manser, MB. 2016. Validation of a fecal glucocorticoid assay to assess adrenocortical activity in meerkats using physiological and biological stimuli. PLoS One 11, e0153161.
20) Benson-Amram, S, Dantzer, B, Stricker, G, Swanson, EM, Holekamp, KE. 2016. Brain size predicts problem-solving ability in mammalian carnivores. PNAS 113, 2532-2537.
See the video, press release, The New York Times, National Science Foundation, Scientific American, BrainDecoder, Popular Science, New Scientist, ARS Technica.
19) Speakman, JR, Blount, JD, Bronikowski, AM, Buffenstein, R, Isaksson, C, Kirkwood, TBL, Monaghan, P, Ozanne, SE, Beulieu, M, Briga, M, Carr, SK, Christensen, LL, Cocheme, HM, Cram, DL, Dantzer, B, Harper, JM, Jurk, D, King, A, Noguera, JC, Salin, K, Sild, E, Simons, MJP, Smith, S, Stier, A, Tobler, M, Vitikainen, E, Peaker, M, Selman, C. 2015. Oxidative stress and life histories: a consensus view on several unresolved issues. Ecology & Evolution 5, 5745-5757.
18) Dantzer, B, Fletcher, QE. 2015. Telomeres shorten more slowly in slow-aging wild animals than in fast-aging ones. Experimental Gerontology 71, 38-47. *Shared first authorship
17) Fletcher, QE*, Dantzer, B*, Boonstra, R. 2015. The impact of reproduction on the hippocampal-hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal stress axis of free-living male northern red backed voles (Myodes rutilus). General and Comparative Endocrinology 224, 136-147. *Shared first authorship
16) Holekamp, KE, Dantzer B, Stricker G, Yoshida KCS, Benson-Amram, S. 2015. Brains, brawn and sociality: a hyaena’s tail. Animal Behaviour 103, 237-248.
15) Dantzer, B. 2015. Mothers shape ecological communities. Science 347, 822-823 (invited perspective).
14) Dantzer, B, Fletcher, QE, Boonstra, R, Sheriff, MJ. 2014. Stress physiology – a transparent or opaque window into the status, management, and conservation of a species? Conservation Physiology 2, 1-18
13) Swanson, EM, Dantzer, B*. 2014. Insulin-like growth factor-1 is associated with life history variation across Mammalia. Proceedings of the Royal Society Series B 281, 20132458. *Shared first authorship
12) Boonstra, R*, Dantzer, B*, Delehanty, B*, Fletcher, QE*, Sheriff, MJ*. 2014. Equipped for life in the boreal forest: the role of the stress axis in mammals. Arctic 67, 82-97. *All authors contributed equally
11) Dantzer, B, Newman, AEM, Boonstra, R, Palme, R, Boutin, S, Humphries, MM, McAdam, AG. 2013. Density triggers maternal hormones that increase adaptive offspring growth in a wild mammal. Science 340, 1215-1217
Highlighted by Ed Yong blog, i09.com, Nature, CBC coverage, Quirks and Quarks Radio, newspapers
10) Creel, SR*, Dantzer, B*, Goymann, W*, Rubenstein, D*. 2013. The ecology of stress: effects of the social environment. Functional Ecology (invited submission) 27, 66-80. *All authors contributed equally
9) Dantzer, B, Boutin, S, Humphries, MM, McAdam, AG. 2012. Behavioral responses of territorial red squirrels to natural and experimental variation in population density. Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology 66:865-878
8) Taylor, RW, Boon, AK, Dantzer, B, Reale, D, Humphries, MM, Boutin, S, Gorrell, JC, Coltman, DW, Boutin, S, Humphries, MM, McAdam, AG. 2012. Low heritabilities, but genetic and maternal correlations between red squirrel behaviours. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 25:614-624.
7) Dantzer, B*, Swanson, EM.* 2012. Mediation of vertebrate life-histories via insulin-like growth factor-1. Biological Reviews 87:414-429. *Shared first authorship
6) Dantzer, B, McAdam, AG, Palme, R, Boutin, S, Boonstra, R. 2011. How does diet affect fecal steroid hormone metabolite concentrations? An experimental test in red squirrels. General and Comparative Endocrinology 174:124-131.
5) Sheriff, MJ, Dantzer, B, Delehanty, B, Palme, R, Boonstra, R. 2011. Measuring stress in wildlife: techniques for measuring glucocorticoids. Oecologia 166:869-897.
4) Dantzer, B, McAdam, AG, Palme, R, Boutin, S, Humphries, MM, Boonstra, R. 2011. Maternal androgens and behaviour in free-ranging North American red squirrels. Animal Behaviour 81:469-479.
3) Dantzer, B, McAdam, AG, Palme, R, Fletcher, QE, Boutin, S, Humphries, MM, Boonstra, R. 2010. Fecal cortisol metabolites in free-ranging North American red squirrels: assay validation and the effects of reproductive condition. General and Comparative Endocrinology 167: 279-286.
2) Dantzer, BJ & Jaeger, RG. 2007. Detection of the sexual identity of conspecifics through volatile chemical signals in a territorial salamander. Ethology 113:214-222.
1) Dantzer, BJ & Jaeger, RG. 2007. Male red-backed salamanders can determine the reproductive status of females through volatile chemical signals. Herpetologica 63:176-183.