Summer 2021 Program Participant Spotlight: Arina Vlasova

Arina Vlasova is part of the University of Michigan Graduate Student Cohort of the Summer 2021 U-M/UPR Curriculum Design Program. Learn more about Vlasova and why she chose to apply to this year’s program below!

Arina Vlasova

Arina Vlasova is a graduate student in the Masters in International and Regional Studies Russian, East European, and Eurasian Studies (MIRS-REEES) program. She holds a Bachelor’s degree in Sociology from Saint Petersburg State University (Russia). Her research interests include health behavior and health education, sociology of the family, and sociology of education with Russia, Central Europe, and Eastern Europe as her regions of focus. Besides having experience working as

an RA in the fields of her interest, Arina has worked as a student services assistant at an international NGO and as a patient coordinator at a fertility clinic.

I applied to the U-M/UPR Summer 2021 Curriculum Design Program due to my long-term interest in the variety of topics related to global health–specifically, sexuality education. I also had a great interest in curriculum design. It was an amazing learning experience: while I did have some curriculum-building experience in the past, none of it was relevant to discussing global health issues in secondary school classrooms. Hopefully, I was able to make a meaningful contribution to the project. I am looking forward to seeing how our collective learning experience will be implemented in practice!

–  Arina Vlasova on her decision to apply to the 2021 Summer Program