Tyrone Lee Reyes–All of Our Lives and Health Is on the Line (May 13, 2020)

To: The Carceral State Project
From: Tyrone Lee Reyes

How has the crisis affected how the prison runs and how staff and incarcerated
folks treat one another?

Are any measures that have been put in place to protect folks inside the prison
effective?

In so many ways this administration has put in place social distance rules while
eating, the med lines, it started in the library until they stopped allowing us to
physically attend. However, it is not bring enforced in the units, yard and walking to
any certain destination. I do not believe it is effective. I would rather for us to be on
a complete lockdown for fourteen days and then be tested. Not only the prisoners,
but staff and officers alike.

Overall, we are in this together with the staff and the officers, because it is all of our
lives and health that is on the line. In every stage of life you’re gonna have a small
group of people who wants to be disruptive. Officers and staff enticing prisoners
with negative, cruel and challenging comments. The same goes with prisoners, you
have the immature, young and older cursing out staff and officers for no reason.
When I speak, it’s on a nonpartisan level, because that rule it’s us against them is
childish. Being objective is always key when trying to make a positive change and
save lives along the way. I want to see all of us overcome and come out better than
before. Our culture of mistreating others will always be around and will never
change. We can’t wait around for everyone.

I wish like hell it was a way to create a more better culture of getting people to see
the importance of this unprecedented crisis. Being there for one another in a time of
need has been around for a long time. But as soon as their crisis is over, it’s back to
normal. What is normal? Wearing mask indefinitely, maybe. We have an
opportunity, but will we capitalize one this gift that we we’re good even?
I want it known that I will never crumble to the evil force in front of us. I will not
recreate something in me that is already divine. I will forever try my best to use my
communication ability to navigate positive resolutions. This is our chance to prove
to everyone why it is so important to love ourselves and our neighbors. We can’t
allow a few rotten apples ruin the whole batch.

By Matthew D Lassiter

Professor of History, University of Michigan