Anonymous-Covid-19 in El Paso County Jail (May 20, 2020)

COVID-19

May 20, 2020

Anonymous

Here in El Paso, TX there’s an average of about 30-35 cases per day. The recent surge in cases is due to more people getting tested as required by Texas governor Greg Abbott. As of this writing there are 1,772 cases and 47 deaths. Here inside the El Paso County Jail Annex luckily no current cases of COVID-19 to report. That could change though because the Governor has put out an Order requiring every inmate in the state of Texas to be tested.

What I personally don’t like about the current COVID-19 situation is not being able to visit with my family and friends I feel this way because I’m really close to all of them. Overall, hopefully this pandemic will be an eye opener for everyone so that it doesn’t happen again.

Thankfully the local TV stations are doing a good job of providing accurate information about safety practices, disease transmission, and what’s happening here locally.

The only thing that has changed here at the Annex because of COVID-19 is no visitation. For the most part there’s mutual respect here between staff and inmates.

In closing, the best advice I can give someone out in the free world in order to cope with quarantine and isolation is: try to do things that you enjoy doing so that you don’t become bored, depressed, or feeling anxiety.

By Matthew D Lassiter

Professor of History, University of Michigan