- Michelle Sprouse is a recipient of the SOE Dimond Dissertation Award 2023*
- English and Education’s Anna Almore and Carlina Duan are Humanities Institute Graduate Student Fellows for 2023-2024*
- Anna Almore is the 2023 student recipient of the Diversity, Inclusion, Justice, and Equity (dije) Award in the School of Education (SOE).*
- monét cooper to receive a 2023 CCCC Gloria Anzaldúa Rhetorician Award*
- Welcome JPEE’s Fall Cohort 2022*
Whether your interests are in rhetoric, composition, literacy studies, or English education, this interdisciplinary Ph.D. program brings together the best of research, scholarship, and pedagogy from across the university to offer a rich and satisfying doctoral experience.
Among our strengths, we offer top-flight resources, a supportive and engaging community of scholars, and the flexibility for students to craft a program centered on their individual interests. Our joint association between the Department of English and the School of Education allows students to gain a particularly strong base in rhetoric and composition theory as well as practical experience in quantitative and qualitative research methods.
Student interests have included rhetorical theory, literacy studies, feminist theory, new media composition, disability studies, queer theory, applied linguistics, English language studies, ethnic studies, creative writing studies, and writing assessment. All students have the opportunity to pursue research projects collaboratively with faculty, including social justice- and activist-oriented research, in addition to individual dissertation research.
All students are guaranteed five years of full funding, and there is additional support for conference travel, research projects, and summer research and writing. To date, we have an outstanding placement record for graduates who have chosen to pursue tenure-track faculty positions in education and English departments in colleges and universities; graduates also assume a broad range of careers in K-12 administration, educational nonprofits, and government-sponsored agencies.
To learn more about the program and how to apply, please visit our Prospective Students pages.