Professor Granara on Al-Andalus in Modern Arabic Literature

As a student of both Hispanic and Middle Eastern cultures, I absolutely loved learning about the reconstruction of al-Andalus in the context of modern Arabic literature. One of the most interesting aspects of Professor Granara’s visit was his discussion of the hermeneutic nature of translation. This description of his experience in translation reminded me of the Arberry’s translation of the Koran and his emphasis on distancing himself from earlier Orientalists who believed they were truly translating the work versus interpretating it. Of course, the Koran, as a fundamentally imperative religious text, should be considered even more difficult to translate as the meaning of each word could, potentially, drastically change the religious interpretation and/or practice of a group or individual. In terms of Granara’s work, his emphasis on the hermeneutic nature of translation in terms of fiction was quite refreshing, as this discourse so far in my studies has be limited to discussions of translation of religious texts. I think the struggle to find a balance between literal translation and interpretation to fit the target language and its cultural affiliations is a central aspect of studying global literature. Granara’s visit thus reinvigorated my desire to not only explore the meaning within translated texts, but also the methods behind its translations and these implications within the realm of interpretating global literary texts.