– Postdoc opening in the Biteen Lab!

Opening for a postdoc to understand cooperativity in microbial communities

The Biteen Lab is recruiting a postdoc for an Army Research Office-funded project to gain a molecular-scale understanding of how mixed microbial communities are organized and how this organization is communicated and maintained. We will attain this goal by imaging the spatial and metabolic relationships between microbiome members at the single-cell and single-molecule level.

No prior experience in super-resolution microscopy is necessary. The ideal candidate is comfortable with the tools of molecular biology and/or microbiology and is also highly motivated to think quantitatively, and on the molecular scale, about single-cell biology. A track record of teamwork, collaboration, and good written and oral communication skills will also be valued. This multidisciplinary and collaborative project will provide training in super-resolution microscopy, microbiology, and data analysis in Matlab. I am also very committed to ensuring that my postdocs and students develop as scientists, publish, present their work, and find positions commensurate with their goals.

The University of Michigan is a terrific institution that highly values both the biosciences and interdisciplinary research. A cultural hub of the region, Ann Arbor is a diverse and cosmopolitan town; it is routinely rated as a top place to live. Our lab—and the University of Michigan—welcomes all races, all religions, all countries of origin, all sexual orientations, and all genders.

More information about our research program is available on our website. If you would like to be considered for this postdoc, please email me your resume and a brief statement of what attracts you to this area of research (jsbiteen@umich.edu). Please provide the names at least three references. I’m also happy to talk more about research directions and my general expectations by phone or email!