A Complete Life Cycle

SSG2017The 2016-17 leaders in the University of Michigan Structured Study Group (SSG) program for Organic Chemistry, Feb 2017, wishing me a happy birthday from the dinner I could not attend because I was out of town [l to r: James, Jenny, Jack, Danny (middle), Mike (back), Thomas, Charles (front)]

The Chinese people believe that when a person reaches the age of 60, he or she has completed a full cycle of life, which calls for a grand celebration. The history of the 60th birthday is based on Chinese astrology. Twelve animals symbolize astrological signs. The Chinese calender is based the 12 signs and the five natural elements: metal, fire, water, earth and wood.

This 5×12 math results in a 60-year cycle.

Following the 60th birthday, the person begins a new life.

The 60th birthday celebration is marked by special food items, such as noodles and peaches, both representing a long life. During the festivities, adult children, grandchildren and friends come together to show appreciation and give presents. Money, flowers and cakes are common gifts. The larger the family, the bigger the celebration.

I developed, and have been running, the SSG program since 1994-95. SSG1995A
The 1994-95 SSG leaders, Dec 1994 [l to r: Deb, me, Doug, Matt, Sarah, Vidya, Adrian (Marc Feldman, who was missing from the dinner, died tragically in a skiing accident over spring break, two months later; I always regret that Marc missed this dinner)]

In the Chinese tradition, people generally only celebrate every 10 years following their 60th birthday.