News from the Conservation Lab — February Face – The Kelsey Blog

News from the Conservation Lab — February Face

By Suzanne Davis

I don’t know about you, but we’ve been feeling dull around here. Although it’s tempting to blame COVID and all the other strife in the world, to be honest, I think it’s just February.

One of our local bookstores, Nicola’s, recently sent me an email with this quote:

“Why, what’s the matter,
That you have such a February face,
So full of frost, of storm and cloudiness?”
― William Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing

I in turn forwarded it to my friend Caitlin, who wrote back, “Oof. Shakespeare has my number.”

It kinda feels like it’s been winter forever although I guess, technically, it’s almost 2/3 done? Anyway, what’s a February face to do? One of my favorite ways to cheer up and distract myself is to learn something new, so I wanted to alert you to an upcoming talk by our colleague Irene Soto Marín. She’ll talk about the Kelsey’s ancient coins and, even if you think you’re not into that, you should come check it out because Irene makes it fun. And in April (which feels so far away!), Carrie and I will give a short talk about the colorful paint schemes of grave markers from the ancient city of Terenouthis. We hope to see you there—officially on the other side of winter. Until then, stay safe, stay warm, and good luck with your own February face.

terracotta head
This guy knows what I’m talking about. Terracotta figurine fragment from Seleucia-on-the-Tigris, Iraq. Parthian, 150 BCE–200 CE. Height: 5.7 cm. KM 14002.