Welcome

This site collects advice and resources for graduate students in both the Mathematics and Applied and Interdisciplinary Mathematics  programs at the University of Michigan. The advice is generated by students, alumni, and faculty, and is maintained by Professor Karen Smith,  with the assistance of  PhD students in Michigan’s math department. The information here is not official math department policy. These are resources gathered by and the opinions of many people who care and know something about being a graduate student and/or mentor of one in math at UM. Please click around and leave us a note to let us know what you think!

Featured News

Preparing for a career outside the academy

In Ethan’s words… Maybe your interest in a life outside the academy started like mine. I love doing math research—really, I do. Learning from and working with my research advisor has taught me to approach problems carefully and with different […]

Erdos Institute Spring Cohort forming

Olivia Haimerl, Community Manager for the Erdos Institute, would like me to post the following message to the UM community (Graduate students, post-docs, and alumni of both) about the various opportunities for non-academic career exploration and training for Math PhDs […]

UM CS department looking to hire math PhDs to teaching faculty positions

You may be aware that there is a national shortage of faculty in Computer Science. This is true here at Michigan, where CSE administrators regularly reach out to hire our post-docs and PhD students. Many courses offered are highly mathematical, […]

See all our news