Navigating Difficult Conversations

Rackham is there to help you! This Thursday, our Rackham Dean for Science, Valeria Bertacco is inviting you to an interactive workshop for graduate students and post-docs on “Navigating Difficult Conversations which you may find useful (details below). Even if you are not currently struggling with some difficult topic you want to discuss with, say, your advisor, supervisor or a collaborator, you most certainly will someday. Please consider checking it out! Another reason to attend: it can be incredibly useful to meet deans and others with power whose job it is to support you. Sometimes they can give you access to funds or opportunities that you would never get otherwise. I have several stories over my 30 year career in which a dean or administrator surprised me with help or funding I could not have found otherwise; in these cases, I was able to reach out them because of events like the one below.
TOPIC: Rackham North: Navigating Difficult Conversations

DATE/TIME:Thursday, August 15, 3:00 pm to 5:00 pm EDT

LOCATION: East Room, Pierpont Commons, North Campus

Event Details: As a graduate student or postdoctoral scholar, you have likely already engaged in a number of difficult conversations throughout your life. Perhaps some of them went well, and others did not go as well as you had hoped. In this interactive session, Rackham experts in conflict resolution will discuss how to navigate difficult conversations. Registration is encouraged at https://myumi.ch/Lok3n.

Valeria

By Karen E Smith

Professor of Mathematics Associate Chair for Gradate Studies